McIntosh v. Cary Audio Design

fgarib

Ok guys! Here's a good one for you!

A slightly used McIntosh MC275-MK-IV available for approx US$ 3,000. Can't audition it. Can't afford a pre at that price right now, but at some time in the future, definitely. But the amp is in GREAT condition.

On the other hand, a pair of slightly used Cary Audio M50 Monoblocks, coupled with a Cary pre, again, in great condition, all the above, available for 2,000.

All things being equal, what would you recommend?

-F

Fauzi

I cannot comment on the Cary gear mentioned, but I just love the combination of Khorns and McIntosh tube amps. I used to own the MC225 (nice, but eventually I was looking for some more bass response), know the MC240 (nice amp again) and own a pair of MC30's (my favourite ot this trio 9.gif ). If the MC275 has a similar midrange, I doubt you will regret purchase. IMO Mcintosh tube amps are very 'musical' and I love their looks as well. Plus those units seem at least to keep (or rather increase) their value.

Wolfram

McIntosh and Klipsch seem to have a real synergy, that's what I use.

Someone on the AudioKharma McIntosh forum couple of months ago commented on how their MC240 was much better the Cary amp they once owned (can't remember which model). I think your mileage may vary, Cary also makes amps to lust for too. Just to add, some people prefer the lower-powered MC225, MC30 and MC240 compared to the MC275, so that is also a bit of a variable. The newer generation MC275 such as the one you are considering are about 10db quieter than the older vintage ones, which should be good mate to the high-effeciency Klipsch.

I also have a MC-30 and really like the sound. It is a coloured sound which is very easy to listen to for hours at a time. Female vocals are to die for as they just fill the whole room.

You might want to check past posts about Cary amps. I think the opinion was mixed on them, but more favourable for a few of their preamps.