Got my RF-7's\Question about mids and lows

rminten

Ok...got the RF-7's in, and here are some initial thoughts.

My Klipsch system is really a Home Theatre setup (used for music also): RP-5's, RC-3, RS-3's and KSW-12 (and a Sony 57" Widescreen). I've gotten a great deal from my dealer to upgrade to the RF-7 line (not sure on the sub just yet...$$$$$). So, I'll be moving to the RF-7, RC-7, RS-7. Only the RF-7's are in. The others will be replaced as they make it into the store.

Here are some random comments:

- Wow. Beautiful looking speakers..didn't even put the grills on! The Copper woofers look really nice. A bit wider and taller than the 5's.

- Much better imaging than the RP-5's...had to make sure the horn tweeter was actually working by getting up to it. A nice 'throw' factor where the upper is thrown out in front of the speaker (not sure what this is technicall called, but imaging is what I think this is referred too)...nice Klipsch sound coming through here.

- These baby's can take the power....all you can give them..and then probably more (I guess there must be some limit)! They just Give..Give....and GIVE! Awesome on the volume side.

So, that's all fine and dandy. What is still out for the jury to decide? My comments below aren't a direct criticism of the speaker itself, because some of these things might be fixed by various setup option. Any help here is really appreciated by the more educated in the group!

- Biggest problem is that pumped full of volume, these baby's rock..and rock with alot of finesse. But, at lower volumes, I lose the mid and low warmth. I have my KSW12 at a level of 8, and Low Pass at 100 (is this a good setting?) From what I've experienced, it depends on the source...these speakers are so true that if you have a crap\mediocre source, it sounds like a really good mediocre recording! So, this may just be the nature of the beast. I'm wondering if Bi-Wiring would give me more mids???

- Speaking of Mids and Lows....I think that overall, there could be 'more'...it's almost as if the tweeter horn is overpowering the woofers...a good overpowering...but overpowering. I want more kick from those 10" copper beauties sitting there!

That's about it for now. I need to get these babys broken in...maybe this will help with the mid\lows.

Overall, these are the highest quality speakers I've ever owned. I'm SO proud to have these babys and I'll be showing them off every chance I get. I can't wait to get the set complete...it's driving me crazy to have those 3's in the center and surround. Oh well...I hope the rest are in soon.

Last comment. I think it's SO true that you really need to listen to the speakers and make your own decision..based on your listening preference. We all like different things about the output of these speakers, but one thing I can say, is that with Klipsch....it's ALL good! Man...is it good. The reference series are my first Klipsch, so I might be biased here, but I'm catching on...and grabbing a pair of KLF-30's in the next day or so...just because I've heard them..and I LOVE what I heard! I love my Reference for my Home theatre, but for my pumping club music..I think the KLF-30's just might do the trick (although the RF-7's......sound DAMN good pumped up!)

Randy

(in Klipsch heaven..in Colorado)

rm, hey sounds pumpingly great! still waiting for the local dealer to get the rf-7 in & hooked up so i can hear 'em. should be by fri. afraid i may like 'em 2much though Smile.gif

forget which amp you're using, but like keith says a nice power amp should give u more power for lower volume. also, wonder if maybe you're getting some conflict/cancellation runnin them along w/ the ksw (u know you're probably going to get a new sub Biggrin.gif).

have u tried listenin to 'em w/ the sub off like in 2 channel mode?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

The RF-7's have really wide dynamic range, which you've mentioned. They will play very loud with little compression, congestion or hardening/collapsing of the sound.

My bet is the KSW-12 is not able to keep up with the RF-7's. Especially set to around 100Hz. Few subs on the market can as most don't offer output levels much beyond 95 dB without serious sonic compromise.

Try setting your crossover to about 50 Hz. This will lighten the load on the KSW-12 and the RF-7's have not problem delivering the bass in that region.

When you can, borrow one of the forthcoming (just a few more weeks I promise) RSW-15's or RSW-12's. Those subs have the dynamic range necessary to keep up with your RF-7's.

BWT I'm pretty sure you'll like the center and rears too.

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions.

How much is the amp playing into this? I have a Yamaha RX-V800, and the documentation states:

Minimum RMS Output Power

(0.04% THD, 20 Hz - 20 kHz)

Main: 100 W + 100 W (8 Omega)

Center: 100W (8 Omega)

Rear: 100 W + 100 W (8 Omega)

Maximum Power (EIAJ)

10% THD, 1kHz)

Main: 140 W + 140 W (8 Omega)

Center: 140 W (8 Omega)

Rear: 140 W + 140 W (8 Omega)

Should this be adequate for the 7's? I wonder if I can run this amp in non-5 channel mode and send more power to the main's. Will have to check this out.

And, about the sub. Well, I broke down and bought a pair of KLF-30's (Love these speakers too!) and I've placed them upstairs in a non-home theatre setup. So, now I have a place for my KSW-12!! And...that would then leave a gap in my home theatre on the sub-side, so I guess I'll just have to budget for and get one of those sweet RSW-12 or 15's!

I will move the crossover to 50 as you've suggested and see what that does. Thanks for the suggestion.

Randy

Two more questions while we're on this subject. I want to make sure I've got the KSW-12 hooked up correctly.

On the back, the LINE IN has two jacks: L/LFE and R. On the back of my Amp, the Sub-Woofer RCA (from the 5-channel area) is currently connected to the L/LFE using a Monster Cable Sub Woofer rated cable. Is this connected correctly? What is the R for? Should I run some speaker wires from my main to the speaker wire inputs also? What would this do? I've read that the LFE is only for DVD, but when I play CD's on my DVD player, I get sound out of the sub even though it's connected to the L/LFE.

Secondly, there is a 'Phase' switch...0 and 180. I've got this set at 180. Is this correct?

Maybe I should take out that manual....

Thanks for all the help!

Randy

rminten, you need a "Y" cable to add to your subwoofer cable.See link below.It should have two MALE RCA ends to go in the subwoofer L/R inputs and ONE FEMALE RCA for your sub cable to plug into(double check link/used for illustration only).Should get an increase in sub output.Try setting the phase switch to "O".Experiment to see if you get greater bass output with above setting.Good luck to you.

http://www.accessories4less.com/advscripts/detailpg.asp?sModnum=HT-141&sPrice=11.79

Keith

It seems that you do have it hooked up correctly. You want ONE in (via Y adapter) to the LFE AND one to either the R or L input.

The R OR L inputs are probably summed internally and they are for bass during music. The LFE is specifically for the L.F.E. (low freq. effects) during movies.

You do want a Y adapter as T2K pointed out and it does need to go to BOTH LFE AND L or R input.

rw, i'm pretty sure the 12 only has 2 line inputs - L/LFE & R. the 15 has L&R & an LFE jack.

i've never been able to figure out why there's about another 6db w/ the Y to both L&R line inputs w/ the ksw. not the case w/ the velo hgs. well, such is life cwm20.gif

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice ...and Forrest...I'm definately getting one of the RSW's! Since I've got two independent systems (RF7's & KLF-30's) I'll have to keep the KSW-12 for the KLF-30's for now. Once I get the RSW paid off, then I'll upgrade the KSW-12 so I can have a better match for the 30's.

Off to get that "Y" cable....

Randy

• 2 weeks later...