For those who like to rent DVD!

williamkusumo

Ok, if you are one of the DVD fans who like to rent DVD every weekend on BlockBuster or Hollywood, you gotta try NetFlix!!! I saw its advertisement on a magazine.

It's a website where you can rent as many DVD as you like for one flat fee: $19.95 /month. No late fees, no due dates, free shipping (prepaid envelope) via first-class mail! Got my first three in 2 days!

Ok, before I start to sound like a salesman, you can check the detail right on the website: www.netflix.com

And forgive me if I am the one who is way behind about this. But this offer could save me quite some bucks!

For those who want to sign up, you probably notice the sign "Tell a friend to try NetFlix free" Well, I spent almost 2 weeks just to find somebody who would give me the code to refer them so I could get the free 2 weeks ($10 off)

So I wanna make it easier for you guys, the link below will take you to the free trial:

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=27276611&siteid=38714895&bfpage=homepage

Umm, for all moderators, I am not trying to advertise something here (in fact I don't have any relation with the company).

I just thought that this is a very good offer and I wanna share it.

Hope it helps!

Ah, yes, a good deal, williamkusumo... but not quite all it's cracked up to be.

The great thing about it is the 10,000 title library... the limiting thing is that you can only have three titles at a time... with typical postal service delays, that makes it tough to average a DVD a day like I do with my local Blockbuster's $19.95 for 30 DVD plus Bonuses program.

Of course, there too is a Blockbuster downside, You only get a maximum of five days to watch the movie and avoid the late fee... and you must go in each day to pick up your movie... but you can rent an extra free movie (DVD or videotape) or game disc for every five discount movies you view. Unfortunately, it is rare to get a Blockbuster DVD's with dts as an option.

I have been tempted to try netflix.com and would be interested in how many movies a month can you average using their system. Frankly, I would like to use them for obscure titles but wonder whether their turn-around time and the Post Office delay would keep it cost effective.

Thanks for the post! Confused.gif HornEd

Yes, I know some people think that it would be a problem. But from what I think, if you're living in CA, you should be getting a really fast shipping. I live in Los Angeles (the headquarter is in San Jose). Always get mine not more than 2 days. Once when I sent it back, took only a day and they got it. Hmm, wander how long does it take for people in New York or Maine?! cwm25.gif

Anyway, just trying to fill up my summer. Still, it's a better deal than the $30 for 30 days 30 rent that Blockbuster offer (it's limited to one DVD perday!).

williamkusumo, I reside in N.Y, my experience with Netflix has been mixed. When I first joined I'd receive DVD's within 2 to 3 days, and Netflix would acknowledge receipt within 2 to 3 days. Over the last 4 months I still receive DVD's within the same time, but they do not acknowledge receipt of disc's mailed back for at least 7 to 8 days. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it seems to me Netflix may not be acknowledging receipt as quick as they use to, in order to limit the number of discs a member rents. I intially joined Netflix to get away from Blockbuster, but I've been back to Blockbuster often lately. They seem to have gotten their act together in my area.

HornEd, Netflix does have a program to upgrade the basic plan. I believe its 8 discs out for $39.95 per month. As far as obscure titles, I've had a few on order since day one, about 7 months ago and the discs have been out of stock for, you guessed it, 7 months. This has been my experience with Netflix yours and others may be different.

JJT

• 2 weeks later...

i have enjoyed my netflix-3-at-a-time rental deal. i'm ALWAYS late bringing dvd's/tapes back; i've found some dvd's i rented good enough to go out and buy a copy;(netflix offers to sell dvd's to you, but i would hope they would be new, and i don't know how their purchase $'s are)and if i want a movie immediately, i can still rent one or go to dishnetwork digital satellite pay-per-view and watch/AND RECORD(either s-vhs or built-in digital bitstream if dd audio is present) so that just about covers it for me. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

• 1 month later...

JJT - Interesting comment about the lengthening acknowledgement time. I've noticed that, also. If they were prompt, I could use their Lite offer to have 2 out at a time, and have 2 new ones every weekend. But somehow, they just don't seem to get processed fast enough to make it. I recently cancelled my membership because they seemed to never have any of the current ones in stock, and I can rent the older ones they have for $2 at the grocery store.

I'm going to give some of the other online services a try. Any suggestions?

DD2

Thanks for the reply DD2. I've also noticed current releases aren't in stock like they use to be and that was Netflix's strong point. The slow to acknowledge thing pissed me off. Gonna give it a couple of months, will post if their's any improvement. I haven't heard about any other online services, if you know of any I'll definetly give them a try.

JJT

JJT - I've read your other posts about 9/11. Yes, there is a tremendous spirit about New Yawka's that most people don't know about. I grew up north of you in White Plains vicinity (Thornwood, actually), and I know of what you speak. Have a friend who used to live on Carol St in Brooklyn for quite a while. It's a great town.

I'm going to try www.qwikfliks.com next as an alternative to Netflix.

DD2

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 09-17-2001 at 11:03 AM

They rejected my membership application !! *WAH*

How lame..!

An extract of the phone conversation I had with them:

Netflix : and your date of birth ?

Me : 71.

Netflix : Ok thanks, how would you like to pay for the membershp ?

Me : Credit card please.

Netflix : That will be fine - Visa ?

Me : Ooo yeah!

Netflix : I would need to verify your card though, which could take a few min.

Me : Ok, could you hurry, this is a long distance call.

Netflix : You could have called our State wide toll-free 1800.

Me : Yes, that only apply to people in the States though.

Netflix : .. *pause* .. sorry, say that again.

Me : I said, your 1800 is not for International caller.

Netflix : .. *pause* where are you calling from ?

Me : Australia !! G'day mate !!

.. the conversation kinda went down hill from there..

-DoomsDay