Paradigm Studio 40 vs Klipsch Ref 3

Osinoff

I purchased a Krell 2oo watt integrated amp. The ref 3 hasn't

given me what I feel the amp can do yet. I don't have a lot of money for big dollar speakers but heard good things about Paradigm

Studio 40 Speakers. Anyone have any idea if they outperform my current Klipsch Rf 3 before I spend more money.

Osinoff,

I have heard the Paradigms........a very nice smooth, soothing speaker. Not like the full open sound you get with Klipsch.

A suggestion would be to see if your dealer would consider a trade in - and move up to some RF 5's........ Or sell your 3's outright, and then buy some RF 5's. Just an Idea!

The Studio 40's are an okay loudspeaker. Not as good, IMHO, as the smaller Studio 20's. The 40's lose something with the extra driver. Haven't heard the Klipsch and the 40's side by side. I'd try and hear them together, but my preference would go for the more dynamic and open sound the Klipsch Reference series are reknown for. I'd seriously consider an upgrade to the RF5's or even RF7's...

I have heard the Studio 20's next to RB-5's about 3-4 years ago at my local dealer and thought the RB-5's had a much more full sound than the 20's. My friend, who was buying speakers at the time, liked the 20's better and bought them instead. The 20's don't even come close to my KLF 10's which I got for about $250 less than what he paid for the 20's. The 40's are also a bookshelf speaker like the 20's so it's difficult to compare them to the RF-3's.

When I first purchased the Klipsch RF3II's I had compared them to the pardigm's.The Paradigm's sounded good but I preferred the dynamic sound that the Klipsch gave me.The paradigms also had a little "bloatyness"? in the Bass or lower midrange but they did go lower than the Klipsch's.

I found that my Rotel receiver was a bit too bright with the Klipsches and I would get fatigued after a couple hours of listening. I recently switched to a tube amp Jolida 302B and that got rid of the fatigue problem.

One other speaker that had real good sound in that general price range was the BMW 603 and while not as dynamic as the Klipsches it sounded great for a variety of different music.It might be a better match for the Krell amp.It depends what speaker's sound you like the most. Dynamic speakers ,I believe sound best with either lower watt warmer sounding class a amps ,or tube amps.

the paradigms are nice speakers. I have RB-5s and love them, but with a krell amp it might just be a bad match. any way you can audition the paradigms with your amp? (either bring home the speakers or bring your amp to the paradigm dealer). hard for people to help with this advice-wise unless they happen to have paired small paradigms with krells amplification. regards, tony