Onkyo vs. Yamaha

GlennG

I have always been a Yamaha fan so my opinion will be tilted.

However, as I have said in other posts I have never been a

supporter of manufactures (cars or HT) that make other name

plates (i.e. Onkyo/Intergra). It makes my think they make

a mass market receiver and then one with all the upgrade parts.

I love my Onkyo. It is easy to use and although some say Onkyo (and Yamaha) are bright sounding, I think it sounds great. I tried an HK avr510 and decided to keep the Onk. I've never regretted it. I have no problem with them having an upgrade line. I wouldn't mind moving up to a Klipsch reference system either.

----------------

On 10/11/2004 8:02:09 AM GlennG wrote:

I am in the process of upgrading my receiver and can't seem to decide between a Onkyo TX-NR801 and a Yamaha RX-V2400. Come on guys help me out here.

----------------

Just wanted to add that YAMAHA is/has coming/come out with an RX-V2500 and RX-V1500. I wasn't aware of this until I saw an online retailer selling an RX-V1500. I though it was a typo until I googled to this site:

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/yamahaRX-V1500-2500PR.php

While this may not be of much help to you as you are probably looking for someone with knowledge of both products, I can say I have been extremely pleased with my RX-V3300. I do find it interesting Yamaha does not have a product in this price category this year.

Yamahas are known for their DSP programs and high current capability in the upper line models. I also think they look better than most. Not to over stated. I personally don't like receivers with 50 buttons and labels on the face. It just looks cluttered. I will have to admit that ethernet port on the Onkyo is very intriguing.

i have had 2 onkyo's in house,and 1 yammie, i gave the 474 to my brother, the 797 to my son, both sounded good, but i could not stand that uneven sound the yammie produced. i do not remember the model # but it was so shrill i had yammie speaks, rf 3's, and heresies on it and it just sounded wrong, i bought it because my brother had an older 2 channel model and it sounded great with jbl's, but it sucks with klipsch, the onkyo's can be a bit bright, but overall they are a better balanced machine, well built too12.gif