Sorbothane isolation mat for top of cd player

powdermnky007

For what it's worth, I too have used materials to reduce the vibration of my CD player and have had only good results; though the best part of my mods was that the CD no longer skipped during bass heavy passages. My intent for disccusing any of this was to find a technical reason for reducing vibrations...not to argue if it sounds better as that is a subjective test. I really don't think jitter is the issue and I think most of the music industry doesn't understand what jitter actually is or how it comes about.

If jitter was the issue, then you should also notice the existence of jitter when using the digital output on your cd player; which is something I'm yet to hear.

As far as vibrating tubes sounding worse than stable tubes...I don't have enough experience with tubes to have experienced such an issue. However, I am sure there are REASONS for the different sounds that you get.

----------------

On 10/14/2004 6:37:11 PM bclarke421 wrote:

A CD player's number two enemy:

"<a
http://www.4kamm.com/products/Celine/celine%20mousepad-C30013.jpg" border=0>

----------------

1.gif1.gif1.gif

MY machine will not even READ that C.D.'s DATA ! 9.gif

With regards,

Analogman

----------------

On 10/14/2004 6:53:24 PM DrWho wrote:

For what it's worth, I too have used materials to reduce the vibration of my CD player and have had only good results; though the best part of my mods was that the CD no longer skipped during bass heavy passages. My intent for disccusing any of this was to find a technical reason for reducing vibrations...not to argue if it sounds better as that is a subjective test. I really don't think jitter is the issue and I think most of the music industry doesn't understand what jitter actually is or how it comes about.

If jitter was the issue, then you should also notice the existence of jitter when using the digital output on your cd player; which is something I'm yet to hear.

As far as vibrating tubes sounding worse than stable tubes...I don't have enough experience with tubes to have experienced such an issue. However, I am sure there are REASONS for the different sounds that you get.

----------------

I gave you a technical example of vibration's deleterious effects upon the machine's ability to perform its task. Yes, you are correct, the perceived degree of sonic degradation is subjective, but that still does not dismiss the reality that it exists.

Analogman

----------------

On 10/14/2004 6:56:51 PM lynnm wrote:

LOL

I find Celine Dion frustrating because she does have a great voice but rarely sings anything below a shriek. I had the same problem with Arthur Fiedler when he led the Boston Pops.....everything at full throttle pretty much all the time!

----------------

1.gif1.gif1.gif

You are right about that! Nothing subtle about those two! 2.gif

Analogman

----------------

On 10/14/2004 7:11:17 PM analogman wrote:

I gave you a technical example of vibration's deleterious effects upon the machine's ability to perform its task. Yes, you are correct, the perceived degree of sonic degradation is subjective, but that still does not dismiss the reality that it exists.

Analogman

----------------

Well then, how exactly does "PIEZOELECTRIC MECHANICAL VIBRATION" alter the signal path? To me, it's just a random term thrown out there. 4.gif

Piezoelectric refers to the process of converting vibration to electricity. Surely you you knew that. What effect do you suppose external vibrational disturbances would have upon a system that derives timing for a digital clock from a microscopically vibrating quartz crystal?

----------------

On 10/14/2004 8:01:01 PM bclarke421 wrote:

BTW, analogman was always my favorite troll, even when he got me.

----------------

3.gif3.gif3.gif

bclarke421,

I was under the impression that I had apologized to you for any inappropriate remarks that I sent your way. If, in fact I did not, I do so now. I must take issue, however, that this dialogue with someone that obviously does not know how a CD player works could or should be considered "trolling".1.gif

Your friend,

Analogman

----------------

On 10/14/2004 8:00:23 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Piezoelectric refers to the process of converting vibration to electricity. Surely you you knew that. What effect do you suppose external vibrational disturbances would have upon a system that derives timing for a digital clock from a microscopically vibrating quartz crystal?

----------------

Well somehow I've never heard of that before...would large vibrations (in comparison to the crystal structure) actually have an effect? Now it sounds like the vibrations are too big 2.gif

----------------

On 10/14/2004 8:20:41 PM analogman wrote:

----------------

On 10/14/2004 8:01:01 PM bclarke421 wrote:

BTW, analogman was always my favorite troll, even when he got me.

----------------

3.gif3.gif3.gif

bclarke421,

I was under the impression that I had apologized to you for any inappropriate remarks that I sent your way. If, in fact I did not, I do so now. I must take issue, however, that this dialogue with someone that obviously does not know how a CD player works could or should be considered "trolling".
1.gif

Your friend,

Analogman

----------------

No problems here. Consider that remark as a compliment!

----------------

On 10/14/2004 8:24:04 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

On 10/14/2004 8:00:23 PM bclarke421 wrote:

----------------

Well somehow I've never heard of that before...would large vibrations (in comparison to the crystal structure) actually have an effect? Now it sounds like the vibrations are too big
2.gif

----------------

Think Doppler distortion.

I will admit that I'm not really all that knowledgable about this specifically, but logical conclusions can be drawn. Physics is physics.