my sub amp draws too much power...

tpg

I did a quick build up of an enclosure for my Blueprint 1503 last week some time. I used the ported sonotube enclosure I had built for my DPL12 a while back and redid the end cap to fit the 1503. I left the port the same size- 4" wide and about 20" long. According to WinISD, this isn't optimal by any means... but it is really powerful. I need to get a proper enclosure with correct port size/length soon! But, when is there time...

Anyway, I've been testing the sub a lot off and on when I have a little spare time. It truly does best both of my other subs combined, as I had hoped. The only problem is that the amp draws a TON of power... I am using a Nady Audio XA-1100 pro power amp. I am running it bridged, which produces 1100WRMS into 4-ohms. Since the 1503 is not DVC, I cannot run one channel per coil as I did with the DPL12, so I either have to run one channel only or bridge it. Bridging gives me a lot of overhead power... But, it draws a lot of current. The amp has TWO 20A fuses in the back of it. I am in an old house... built in 1910... rewired somewhere in the 50's-70's I think. I am afraid that my wiring cannot take this. When the bass hits in music, the lights dim a little. In LOTR:FOTR when Sauron is defeated- after the ring falls and he implodes- the lights dimmed quite a bit and stayed that way until the bass stopped. I got worried... I know this is not normal by any means. How many possible problems might I have like this?

Also... would it be worth my while to look into getting a 1000W digital sub amp for power? Perhaps the lower power consumption would help out some. I can't really enjoy movies anymore now... I'd never noticed the dimming that much before... actually, I don't think the lights did dim that much before. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

I am trying to figure out a way to rewire this room... but it is upstairs and the breaker box is in the basement...

Ya.. buying a new house might be nice...

Ear... this house may be old, but it is solid. 2.gif Just the wiring needs a little updating... This thing wasn't built out of cheap-o soft pine and particle board. No... its all oak and horse-hair plaster. This place weighs a ton, but could probably withstand a nuclear blast. heh

actually im in the same situation as you, I want to get a QSC RMX 5050 amp but that draws a bit too much power, about 20 amps. And my old style house is only rated for 15 amps. The thing is my father is rather good with wiring and we talked about actually replacing the wire and circuit breaker. As you TPG my house is from about 1930's, and hell with the old phone wiring i can get dsl lol. But anyways you just need do buy a 20 amp circuit breaker and replace the line with either 12 gauge copper wire or 10 gauge aluminum wiring. As for drawing 20 amps from you amp already in a 15 amp outlet, i'm very weary. I once had a old 30 amp a/c and it use to blow the circuit breaker on medium or high setting. But now I know that if it wasn't for the circuit breaker the wiring migh actually catch fire!!!

Exactly, I helped a friend rewire his parents basement because they had only about 4 outlets in the whole thing on 1- 15 amp breaker.

I added an additional 15 amp and 2 more 20 amps. Now they have a refrigerator and a ton of plugs down there. My buddy has a cheap HT, but also like 4 computers and couple of tvs, along with a random assortment of gaming cousels and other goofy lights and junk. The only problem with it is the place gets hot!

sorry to ramble, I'm kind of proud of it. haha

But really, make sure you use the correct wire as Jay was saying. That is very important.

Actually tpg, you really don't have to worry about it... Unless it does blow the circuit breaker (or fuse or whatever) it isn't going over the capacity of the wires. The lights dimming is nothing to be worried about, it's just drawing most of the houses power (which if you think about it isn't all that bad... The same thing happens when a central air conditioner starts up). Pulling new wires is a complete pain in the arse, so until it becomes a real problem, don't even think about it.

Ok... that helps me rest a little easier. Running new wires is next to impossible here... but you're right- our central air always dims the lights for a second. I guess when I decide to watch a movie I'll just run as little as possible. I'll turn off the lights (ideally I guess lights should be off for a movie anyway...) and shut down my computer... maybe the washing machine was going that night as well. I don't remember for sure. I have not blown a breaker yet, and I've run things pretty hard sometimes, so I guess I don't have too much to worry about. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to burn the place down... Thanks all

tgp - According to the International Guide to Home Theater Etiquette, your problem can be attributed to conflict with one of the cardinal rules of movie watching in a Home Theater setting... Leaving the lights on! 2.gif

Honestly, I can understand your problem. My old house, built in 1927, still had original wiring to all the outlets in the house. Fortunatly a friend of mine was skilled in home wiring. Over a few months we replaced nearly all the wiring in the entire house. We also added a bunch of additional outlets, I guess they just didn't understand how many we would need in the future. Sure felt good plugging into those new sockets when it was finished. We added a dedicated breaker just for the HT equipment. To bad I moved soon after that. My Yammy used to shut down when I turned the volume too high, what a pain! Good Luck!

If a Yammy draws too much juice(max around 8AMPS,for their large receivers) ...dude get a real 15AMP line.The largest "Yammy" is a weakling compared with any serious multichannel power amp.My cheapest power amp can draw a full 15AMPS,my ...slightly larger 20AMPS and my largest multichannel uses TWO 20AMP circuits.Here ya go Yammy

Yah baby yeah who's system draws more power tham mine? Bring it on 11.gif I am the king of electrical waste 11.gif

LOL

----------------

On 10/14/2004 10:09:11 AM TheEAR wrote:

If a Yammy draws too much juice(max around 8AMPS,for their large receivers) ...dude get a real 15AMP line.The largest "Yammy" is a weakling compared with any serious multichannel power amp.My cheapest power amp can draw a full 15AMPS,my ...slightly larger 20AMPS and my largest multichannel uses TWO 20AMP circuits.Here ya go Yammy

Yah baby yeah who's system draws more power tham mine? Bring it on
11.gif
I am the king of electrical waste
11.gif

LOL

----------------

Are you the reason for the blackout of the northeast last year?

"If a Yammy draws too much juice(max around 8AMPS,for their large receivers) ...dude get a real 15AMP line.The largest "Yammy" is a weakling compared with any serious multichannel power amp.My cheapest power amp can draw a full 15AMPS,my ...slightly larger 20AMPS and my largest multichannel uses TWO 20AMP circuits.Here ya go Yammy"

Hey Ear, I would stack my Yammy up against your Krell any day! It boasts an over rated 100wpc! Just don't set the Krell on top, it might crush it. 14.gif

Actually my receiver/amp is the next in line for an upgrade. I'm leaning toward the Aragon 2007, or Sunfire Cinema. I love the look of the Stage One/2007. Unlike yourself, my speakers (Belle and La Scalas) don't demand mega power.

Dillon,

If you are looking for a smooth amp to go with your Heritage Klipsch seriously consider a Sunfire power amp.These have not a trace of any agressive touch and match anything from RF7's to LaScalla's like a dream.Only better musical match would be a hybrid or pure tube amp.

With Sunfire you get more sound and less heat,even when pushed a Sunfire power amp remains cool(unless pushed very deep in its trenches by a power monger Dynaudio playing at concert like levels).