CINEPRO AMP too Much Power for RF7s?

the borg

I currently have the Denon 5800 which is no slouch in the power department at 170x7 (or is it x8?). Anyway, I am running all new 7-series speakers (RF, RC, RS, plus RF3s), and keep hearing how much difference seperates make and am considering using the Denon as a Pre-Amp/Receiver and adding the Cinepro 3kll(?) that kick out 375x6. My question, is this more power than is necessary for my speaker setup which is mostly used for HT and very little for music. Help!!!

We are the Borg...

I understand POWER fixation to be the Borg thing... BUT, with your great set of efficient Klipsch Reference speakers... POWER is the least of your problems! The advantage of separates in your case is a question of the QUALITY of that power.

Explore http://www.monarchyaudio.com/home.htm and the separates philosophy of C.C. Poon. You have to click around a bit, but the message is very enlightening. He is the "guy to know" of amps while T. Vodhanel is the "guy to know" for subs and Trey is the "guy to know" at 1-800-Klipsch!

You have a great thing going... but we are not the Borg! cwm36.gif I'm in trouble now... HornEd

First thing I'd note is that I am a BIG believer in the idea that, with Klipsch speakers in particular, a good sounding amp is better than a, uh, not good sounding amp ( Smash.gif ) regardless of the relative power levels. With most other speaker lines, you need to be concerned about having too little power in addition to the quality of that power, particularly with a home theater setup, but the Klipsch line have such high sensitivity that the quantity of power is less of a limiting factor.

Having said that, I really do believe that if you take two amps that sound the same, and are built using the same technology (both tube, both solid state, both hybrid, whatever), and are of approximately equal build quality, but one is significantly more powerful than the other (say, at least 6dBW - that is, a 200 watt amp verses a 50 watt amp), the more powerful one is going to sound "better" - it'll have more bass slam, more "jolt" value, play cleaner at louder volume levels, yada yada yada. Sorry about the long sentence...

I have no personal experience with the Cinepro line, but I've seen no reviews that weren't very favorable.

Within reason, nothing succedes like excess.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Well....I would definitely give the Cinepro a serious listen. My first good listen to RF-3's had a Cinepro driving them and the RF's were tight. But as Ray has pointed out, I've witnessed speakers really develop some punch when driven by a quality amp - regardless of its power rating.

OTOH, I perceive the Cinepro amps as being more of an "industrial" type amp for large HT applications or when using multiple speakers that aren't as <ahem> efficient as out beloved Klipsch's. The one thing I'd like to know about amps that size is how quiet are they when things get to rockin' - i.e. how loud is that cooling fan? Personally, if I were gonna spend that kinda cake, I'd look at Krell or some mono blocks.

And one of these days I'm gonna get to listen to an ATI amp or find someone who has. Don't know why, but I'd love to hear one of their products.

Tom Adams

ps: I almost forgot. When it come to big power amps, "Resistance is futile". Smile.gif

This message has been edited by Tom Adams on 07-31-2001 at 03:55 PM

10-4 Ray.

borgster,I too think you can never have too much amp power.But GOD ALMIGHTY!,I'm not too sure you would ever even think about using 375 WPC.The new Acurus 125X5 amp I bought recently easily propels my speakers into the 110db range,and the music sounds better the louder you play it.

As Ray so wisely said,if you can find "your sound" in an amp and get about half the power of that Cinepro you

spoke of you'll still be livin' large.Also,consider the

separate circiut you'll probably need to power the monster 3K.

On second thought the 3K is starting to sound pretty good.Audition it first and good luck!

Keith

AND ONE MORE THING!

I'm sure the minds at Klipsch carefully considered the sound combination of THEIR speakers and the Mondial products before forking over the bucks for Mondial.You might consider Aragon.

Keith

I run alot of power in my HT system, I have a Denon AVR 3300 running 3 outboard amplifiers. The effects are stunning, the DBX BX-3MkII's are rated at 400W X 2 @ 8 Ohms, one runs the Belle's the other the Heresy II's and ESS Minis. Although they are hardly working to power the Klipsch, I have headroom and dynamics that are right off the scale. Transients jump right out at you, especially since I run Dynamic Range Controllers and a Subharmonic Synthesizer. I did not think the Denon's power supply had enough ooomph to drive all the speakers I had and still remain solid and dynamic so I took almost all the load off of it, now it drives only one pair. As Ray stated it is the quality of those watts that will make the most difference. I thought the AVR 5800 was rated at 140W for each channel? Good luck in your quest, remember resistance is futile! cwm1.gif

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (LF/RF) (LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback - Walnut)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane Grills)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & ESS Mini Monitors (Walnut))

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DDLinear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-303RA Satellite Receiver

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) (1-LC) (1-RC)

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE - ARS Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers

GE 20" Television