building a new home theater system from scractch

dippafly

hi. im new to the forum. im building a new home theater system from scratch. i want to build a system mainly to listen to music and then movies. 80/20 split. i like hip hop music. so, i have a few questions:

1. what parts of the system are the most important (rank order of importance)? ie. centre channel, subwoofer, floor speakers, surrounds

2. what part of the system can i get away with spending less money on?

3. what do you think of the bose 601-iv floor speakers compared with the rf-35 or rf-25?

4. what do you think of the jbl e250p 12" subwoofer compared with the rw-12?

much thanks in advance!

dippafly ,

Since your spending more time on music than HT, here is a suggestion.

Go with Klipsch products. They are more efficient and sound better than bose. Price wise they are less expensive also.

Get a good receiver- a brand You like, can afford, and is easy to use.

get the Klipsch RF 35's (since you spoke of them). If your going to get a center channel, make sure it matches your Front speakers.

The subwoofer is a componet you can wait on. A lot of folks here like the Klipsch sub you talked about.

Bottom line- It is what sounds good to you, is easy to use, and what you can afford.

Welcome to the Madness..............

for 2 channel i am guessing you will listen in stereo? you should of course center on full range speakers, bose is terrible! poor make poor everything missing frequency ranges, someone had an article about an review on stats for bose since bose had none to offer, and it was kinda amusing, anyway for your ht experience you need a good center channel, and remember that most of the sound in ht goes through the center channel so this for ht is essential, dont scrimp here. and try to timbre match (dont try, do). also there many of us here who think that full range speakers are just as important for rears, since quite a bit of info will be sent there in dynamic sequences, or for ambience in many scenes. and i dont really think there is a priority for a good rig #'s wise i mean, a good set of speakers especially speakers as sensitive as klipsch will show all of your systems weaknesses. so in a nutshell i dont think there is an area where you can really scrimp, i mean, the system will sound as good as it is, but there are many ways to the system you want through other means, ebay, audiogon, some of the members here have equipment for sale. good luck

----------------

On 10/16/2004 3:18:55 AM dippafly wrote:

hi. im new to the forum. im building a new home theater system from scratch. i want to build a system mainly to listen to music and then movies. 80/20 split. i like hip hop music. so, i have a few questions:

1. what parts of the system are the most important (rank order of importance)? ie. centre channel, subwoofer, floor speakers, surrounds

Front main loudspeakers, subwoofer, center channel speaker, side speakers, amplification, DACs, CD/DVD transport, Tuner, TV

CD/DVD transport

3. what do you think of the bose 601-iv floor speakers compared with the rf-35 or rf-25?

Please try to not think of Bose - If you like the Bose sound there are literally 25 -34 loudspeaker setups that sound better, cost less and are easier to integrate into a system.

Never heard the JBL, but gaurantee you will like the RW-12

much thanks in advance!
----------------

My thoughts are in bold above.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

So, the thing is that i have a friend who works at a local electronic store and she can get me stuff at cost price and they dont carry klipsch. so, someone posted that i make sure that i match the center channel to the front speakers. does this mean that i buy both center channel and front speakers from the same company?

so, you guys dont like bose. how about the Infinity IL30MPL floor speakers and the polk csi5 center channel?

so, my budget for a system is about $1700 US and it is a one time deal.

thanks again.

dippafly

As Marksdad stated- Try Polk.........and yes one your main concerns when buying is to get the matching center to the main speakers you buy-what ever brand that may be.

If you are close to a Klipsch dealer......check out the RF 35 speakers.......price wise I have found that Klipsch is about the same price point, Plus they are more efficient than the Polks. good Luck in your search!

----------------

On 10/16/2004 3:18:55 AM dippafly wrote:

----------------

If you are mainly interested in music, the most important will be the two front mains, in which I would suggest getting the largest speaker you can afford and/or that'll fit into your listening area. Since you indicated that you are interested in hip-hop, which tends to be pretty bass-heavy, getting a good subwoofer should be the next priority. After that, getting the matching surrounds will enhance what little movie watching you may be doing, followed lastly by a center that matches with your mains.

As for the surrounds, since you indicated mostly listening to music, I'd seriously look into gettting full-range monopole surrounds, idealy the same thing you have as your mains, as oppose to the diffusion (WDST) style. That way, you can better take advantage of the newer multi-channel music sources such SACD and DVD-Audio.

----------------

----------------

The surrounds. In fact, since you did indicate you are primarily intereted in music, I'd just start with the best two floor-standing mains you can afford, and add a good subwoofer, especially since you indicted you like to listen to hip-hop, which has a lot of bass material. When more budget becomes available, then add the surrounds and center as you see fit.

----------------

----------------

I've listened to the Bose 601 Series IV next to both Klipsch Synergy SF-3s as well as the RF-3-IIs (predecessor to the RF-35s). In all cases, the Klipsch completely annihlated the Bose 601s in every main catagory of speaker attributes (Imaging, Clarity, Dynamics, Bass-response, etc). I found the Klipsch to be much more detailed, clear, dynamic than the Bose. Yes, the 601s seem to deliver more bass, but it is not very good bass. It was muddy and very indistinct. The Klipsch exhibited much cleaner, and tighter bass. To get even close to what the Klipsch can produce, you'd have to find a pair of the Bose 701s, but even then, it is still no match.

My suggestion is to not even waste your time or money with the Bose. Stick with the Klipsch (and I am not saying that just because this is a Klipsch board, I am saying this from personal experience of listening to these very speakers side-by-side).

----------------

much thanks in advance!

----------------

The RW-12 is hands-down a much better subwoofer. I thought the JBL E-250p was boomy and muddy. The RW-12 will deliver a much cleaner, better defined, bass.

I'd get the RW-12 over the JBL E-250 any day.

And lastly, have you put any thought as to what you are planning on using for a reciever? Do you already have a reciever? If so, I am curious as to what you got or planning on using.

----------------

On 10/16/2004 1:45:27 PM dippafly wrote:

so, someone posted that i make sure that i match the center channel to the front speakers. does this mean that i buy both center channel and front speakers from the same company?

----------------

Yes, that is correct. Klipsch to Klipsch, Polk-to-Polk, Bose-to-Bose, Infinity-to-Infinity, etc.

In fact, in many cases, it is not just matching the same brand, but also model line and even "class". For example, in the case of the Klipsch, you will want to match Reference to Reference. Synergy to Synergy. Heritage to Heritage, etc. And with the "class", ie. RF-35 to RC-35, RF-25 to RC-25 for Reference, or "SF-3 to SC-3" for Synergy.

----------------

so, you guys dont like bose. how about the Infinity IL30MPL floor speakers and the polk csi5 center channel?

----------------

You are correct that for the most part, we don't like Bose. It does not sound "bad", but for the price they are asking, you can do much better. But that is a topic for a whole 'nother thread.

And no, I would not get the Infinity with the Polk Center. You should get an Infinity Center with the Infinities, or the Polk Mains with the Polk Center. In the case of theh Polk, you'll want one of the LSi or RTi series speakers to go with the Polk CTi center.

I haven't really listened to the newer Infinity as of late. My previous HT system composed of some of the Infinity RS-series speakers, which I did like. But it was nearly 8 years ago when I bought those speakers. However, I dd get to listen to the Polk very recently (last week), and I really did like what I heard. If you just cannot get the Klipsch, then I would suggest seriously giving the Polk a consideration.

with a $1700 dollar budget you could go to best buy and get the 5.1 klipsch set up the have there, it comes with all the speakers/ cables/ reciever ect. and sells for $900

that still leaves you with $800 for your display

and ywould make a great starter system!!

jay