Khorn response curves

soundog

I recently purchased the amazing Perpetual Tech P1A Digital Correction engine that (along w/ the P3A DAC) has the capability of making regular CDs into super (24 bit 96k) CDs. Wow! Its unbelievable what is hidden on 16 bit 44.1k CDs)! The P1A also has the capacity to digitally equalize loudspeakers to eliminate the peaks and valleys in their response curves. Software for most popular speakers is in development including some Klipsch speakers. They plan to develop software for Klipschorn correction. However, they asked me to find out if different incarnations of Khorns (different crossover, components) have different response curves. Seems as if they would. Also Al K if you read this, do your ALK crossovers change the Khorns response curves? I would imagine that all these variations do but I thought it would be interesting to ask. Perpetual Tech will probably only develop software for the latest Khorns meaning that if older models or ALK modified models have different response curves then I will have to rent equipment to measure my Khorns response curves so that appropriate correction software can be generated to adjust their particular response pattern.

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (downloads cd info, programs & controls changers).

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever source is playing)

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Soundog,

I don't have a set of Khorns to actually do a frequency response plot on, so I can't say for certain what response changes my netwrok will make. I hope they stay flat though!

The squawker level is adjustable on mine, that effects the midband level. Also, the Khorn might get a little boost in the upper range of the woofer from the AK sereis networks that mine does not do. I am not sure of this though. The AA network used in earlier Khons can't do that since it's woofer filter is 6 dB / octave.

My network sounds "crisper" than the stock networks which might imply a slight rise in the extreme highs, maybe above 10K due to reduced loss in the tweeter filter. Again, I am not sure of this either.

Al K.

"the Khorn might get a little boost in the upper range of the woofer from the AK sereis networks that mine does not do." -- AL K.

FWIW, my k-horns response does measure 3 to 4dB higher between 160 and 250hz, relative to the output at 1khz (0dB).

------------------

JDMcCall

This message has been edited by James D McCall on 08-08-2001 at 01:38 AM

soundog,

I have tried a variety of crossovers, including a DIY ALK version, and numerous "tweaks" to the circuit of the AA.

Nothing, pretty much nothing, has changed the SPL curve.

I shared these plots with Al way back when and he concurred.

Basically a reasonably flat curve, with the exception of a 8-10DB peak at 5-6K, and a steady rolloff from 50Hz on down and 16Khz on up.

Al thinks the Rat Shack meter was responsible and it probably was to some extent but as regards the peak at 5-6K there was the empirical evidence of Randy jumping around the room holding his ears while blood trickled out.

However, I think the other folks out there will experience other plots, and my gut feeling is the ROOM is the major contributor to the plot, not so much the crossover.

I have cement floors which although they are doubly carpeted provide quite a bit of reflection.

Since I have added DIY room acoustics I have not tested again with an SPL. Like they say, I have learned to stop worrying and trust the Bomb.