refinishing lascalas

hunt4

I just bought a pair of ls for 600.00. They are in fair condition. I would like to take off the stain that the guy had put on before me. Im having trouble getting to the back. I do not want to take apart the cabnit. Painting is an option as well. I would greatly thank you for the info. thanks, hunt

You can't take it apart. You could try a liquid stripper to get at the parts that are hard to reach with a long handled brush-thing, sort of like cleaning a toilet. Turpentine could also work as it acts as a solvent...

In lieu of using a liquid stripper, I would suggest painting the back portion black. It will look like its supposed to be that way...

Best of luck. By-the-way, that was a good deal!

DM

Thank you for the info. I've also concidered painting them with black laqer. Has anyone had good results with painting them completely? If so was buffing or sanding with 600 grit needed to get a VERY HIGH GLOSS FINISH. THANKS AGAIN!

HUNT

Dale Walker has done black, but he used auto paint, and didn't do a super goss if I remember right. He will probably chime in. If you want a very high gloss, you might need to go higher, like 1200 grit or even better. You have to have the wood sealed incredible well and sanded back to flat before you can make that look really well.

Most don't like those big boxes being black. John Albright (also on here) had his done in cherry, and they are beautiful in person. He paid someone to do them though.

Marvel

The LaScalas are hard to finish. I stripped, stained, and lacquered one pair. After doing it, I said that I would build a pair before ever strippind and sanding down another pair. I could build them faster.

I refinished another pair in black lacquer, that was a piece of cake. Black lacquer is up to about $90.00 a gal. these days.

If I ever refinish any of my other LaScalas I am going to make grill cloth pieces like the Belle uses around the dog house. I saw a pair done like this and they looked sharp.

I have a pair of originally black La Scalas that I refinished. It was a long process to arrive at the way to do it.

In short, I stripped the original finish and fixed any problem areas. Now, the hard part. To apply lacquer properly, you will need a compressor and a fairly good paint gun. I spend countless hours and much paint trying to get a good finish with a Wagner paint gun and several nozzles, including the one supposedly for lacquer. It did not work. I finally had to get a compressor and an HVLP paint gun. I got the paint specs for the original black lacquer from Klipsch. Let me know if you need that information.

The paint is about $40 a gallon.

The finnish turned out very nice, although not like the original. The new finish is shinier with more of a piano like thickness and sheen.

Thanks for the great info. My budy has a compressor and stated that he has painted with laquer before. That web cite also had ideas for grills. Right now i'm playing around with rustolium's black laquer high gloss finish. I was also looking into automotive finishes as well. If i do paint them i want to be able to "count the hairs on my eyebrows". Im still not sure if i will be able to buff the laquer or if sand papper is the only way.

THANKS AGAIN,

HUNT

fr- ls-81 c- cerwin v (for now)

r- Bos acc cr95 rec- sony (for now)

sub- Bos acc pv-600 tv- sony 46 widescreen