Synergy System--a few recommendations?

BCompDude

The time is near approaching when I will go down to Best Buy and purchase my first "true" HT setup. I have decided through listening that I much prefer the Klipsch Synergy series over the Athenas or JBLs etc. Now my question to you folks is what I should buy for the speakers and how important it is to buy the same "number" (such as C1-, F-1, etc.)

I am on a somewhat limited budget but don't mind buying one piece at a time if it will behoove me to do so. My budget is $1,000 dollars. I already have the KSW-12 sub sitting here by itself 3.gif . So now that I have the sub and the reciever--a Yamaha 5760--I need help with the rest of the system. My main usage for the speakers will be as follows: 50% Music (Pop, Rock, R&B), 40% Video Games (XBox--supports Dolby Digital 5.1) and 10% DVD watching (Action flicks mostly). I would obviously prefer surround sound if possible but it isn't absoultely necessary to begin with.

I absolutely love the F3's--and they DO fit in my budget but I wouldn't be able to get the surrounds and stuff for a few months (which isn't optimal but doable if it is worth it). I could otherwise purchase the F2's for the mains and pick up a center channel. Or I could get the F1's and everything all at once.

Room size is 15x10 but certainly could go larger in the forseeable future--a 20x25 is likely. I hope thats everything needed . . .I'm sort of new to all of this but certainly appreciate any time put forth in recommendations.

Thanks

My suggestion would be get the F3s. Because you listen to music most of the time and most music is 2 channel, you would want your mains to be the best you can afford. Next I would suggest the C3 because most of the information in movies goes to the center channal. Then your surrounds. You may skimp here a bit but the higher you go, the better. Not to knock your sub, but I suggest either and Klipsch RW, HSU, or SVS sub and you can do that either after you center or your surrounds. The RW-10 can be had for under 500, HSU makes a few 300-600 doller ones and SVS just came out with a nice 10 inch 400 doller one, soon to change to 430 next month(november 1st).

CD

SF-3's all the way 2.gif

Though for $1,000...can't you get a pair of RF-35s?

I might suggest that you take a trip to the local audio store (there's a dealer search on the website), not an audio section of another store. Get talking to the dealer about how you're planning on building a home theatre and tell him that you wanna start out with a nice pair of mains because you don't have enough money for everything else. Ya know...convince him that you'll be coming back if you can get an awesome deal. In the meantime, you'll have the opportunity to do even more comparisons with better equipment. If you're lucky, he may let you take home some speakers to do some evaluations and all that.

Now for a totally different idea, perhaps you might want to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers...say the RB-75 (I'm not current on the prices, so maybe RB-35). After that, save up some money and buy an even better pair of main speakers like the RF-7's and then move your bookshelves into the back to do surround duty. Then give it some more time and saving and then get a center channel speaker to match your mains. You can go without a center channel for a while because most recievers will matrix the center channel info into both L+R speakers. The reason I suggest this method is because the end system will be better than if you start out with the SF-3 AND you'll have the joys of having a good system right from the get go...and every upgrade will be a huge one.

Eventually, you're gonna wanna change out that sub, but worry about that later.

Can I use the F2's as "surround" speakers? Use those as my mains for the time being, enabling me to snag a C3 at the same time. Then when I have enough money (saving whatever is left of the purchase of course) getting the F3's, placing them in front as my mains and delegating surround duties to the F2's? There are a few reasons why I prefer the Synergy series (area, and I recieve a slight discount on this series, which helps). I really appreciate the help guys.

Lastly, why do you guys think my sub sucks? Lol. I know its not absolute top of the line. . .but it surely isn't "bad" is it? I haven't really heard it play much but just figured that it would fit with the speakers I'm considering. And I want to stay all Klipsch--I don't want a different brand for sub. I'm brand oriented. 9.gif

----------------

On 10/20/2004 11:45:49 PM BCompDude wrote:

Can I use the F2's as "surround" speakers?

----------------

of course you can,and your surround will be full range speakers.it will be very good!

than you can buy an extra pair of SF2, you can use them as front center anr rear center.

all channels will be produce by some fullrange speakers, so you will hear some real DolbyDigital.

----------------

On 10/20/2004 11:45:49 PM BCompDude wrote:

Can I use the F2's as "surround" speakers? Use those as my mains for the time being, enabling me to snag a C3 at the same time. Then when I have enough money (saving whatever is left of the purchase of course) getting the F3's, placing them in front as my mains and delegating surround duties to the F2's? There are a few reasons why I prefer the Synergy series (area, and I recieve a slight discount on this series, which helps). I really appreciate the help guys.

----------------

Definitly so that route. Floorstanding speakers as surrounds are awsome.

I used bookshelf as surounds for years. When I finally upgraded my mains

and placed my other floorstanding speakers as surrounds the difference

was like night and day.