Klipsch Konfusion

Zargathos

Z,

I'm sure your son will be delighted with getting him set up with Klipsch KG's of some variety.

On the difference between the KG-3.2 and KG-3.5, the change from passive radiator to port is a swap that (IMO) would be not likely discernable to the listener. The port allowed Klipsch to produce the same speaker (same drivers) in a slightly shorter cab. The 3.2 is definitely more impressive, visually, with the passive radiator on the front.

I'm glad you got the 3.2's. I've owned kg4, 4.5, 3.2, and heard 3.5. I would rate the kg4 1st, then 3.2, then 4.5, then 3.5. My kg 3.2's used to be part of my workshop system. So much bass the cd player would skip regularly. Now I have Bose 301's that look like hell and i don't care if they mold in the humidity of my shop. Needless to say, my shop is not as pleasant a place as it was with Klpsch kg 3.2's. I'm sure your son will be happy.

I can't compare them with any reference models, but for a younger person who probably listens to rock or Hip-hop, they will rock. Plenty of bass. Enough bass to make the cd player skip on my gagage system when turned up loud. The current junkyard bose 301's in my garage only sound as good as they look (like crap).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I took delivery on my new (to me, they're new) Klipsch KG 3.2 speakers. Let me tell you, despite the fact I already own Klipsch Reference speakers, I was floored by the amazing sound these smaller 3.2's produce. From the opening of Pink Floyd's 'Time' to the punchy acoustic display on Rush's 'YYZ', and wrapping up with Afrika Bambaataa's 'Planet Rock' just for kicks...those speakers played every note and begged for more.

Me = happy.

You're welcome.

Now that I've got these hooked up and had a listen, I'm almost glad I didn't go with the 4.2's. They would have been too big and (perhaps) too much speaker for the bedroom. Of course, when teenagers are involved, decisions like 'too big' or 'too much' don't figure into the equation very often. :)

But in this case, my son agrees. These 3.2's are perfect.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the original MSRP was for KG 3.2 each/pair back in the day when they were still being produced?

I'm sure that for the price I paid for this used pair, I couldn't have done any better. Unless, of course, someone wants to sell me a pair of Cornwalls for around $150. Thought not. 2.gif

*bump*

Anyone have a list with MSRP for the KG series from the 90's?

Well, more listening with the 3.2's....heard classic Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, and for more modern bands, some Gorillaz. These speakers are all that, and more. I'm impressed! I'm more happy with every passing moment...every song just sounds better on Klipsch.

The list prices aren't listed on the site's spec page for the 3.2 but I paid about $600 for a brand new pair of KG4.2s when they first came out. I'm guessing street price for the 3.2s were about $450-500 when they were new with a list of maybe $550 or so. I'm just guessing though.

Z- good job shopping. See how our little system works? Glad you are happy with your purchase. Looking at some old literature, the kg series does seem well ahead of it's time design-wise. Efficient, smooth response, good low end. Should work well with your Stramp and Zep collections. Keep on Rockin with Klipsch and start saving your nickels, you're hooked now!

Michael

I've been hooked for awhile now. (See profile). Now, I think I should start looking for another pair of Klipsch in the next month or so to replace the cheap Sony bookshelf speakers I have in the master bedroom. Maybe another pair of 3.2's to match with my '78 vintage Technics SA-500 receiver. :)