can you run left and right to one speaker ?

I am building a home and would like to wire and install in-ceiling speakers throughout the house. I've been told that a summed mono speaker, like Klipsch CS-650-RSM, is a good choice for small rooms or rooms without a well defined listening area. It avoids the situation where the listener only hears one channel. This seems like a good idea for master bathroom, study, and kitchen/dinette area. My question is whether I have to go with the CS-650-RSM or if I can go with the SCR-3 or RCR-5 and wire them as summed mono? Can I run both left and right channels to a to a single "regular" speaker ? If this can be done, is there anything special needed to do this ? I would like to purchase pairs of SCR-3 or RCR-5, for their superior sound, and split into separate rooms and wire them as though they were summed mono speakers. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, John.

------------------

John S.

Although no expert on what you suggest, I personally would go to great lengths to get two seperated speakers in each living area. It seems to me that's the only way you'll get and any kind of meaningful

left right seperation and resulting soundstage or imageing. Stereo without seperation and soundtage seems kinda pointless to me. Having said that maybe other more knowledgable posters have other opinions.

"Summed Mono" speakers, whether Klipsch or other brands have separate circuits for the Left and Right channel output of the amp. Two tweeters and two independent woofer voice coils is the norm on these speakers. If you wire a "normal" speaker with both left and right, it will not damage the speaker, but it WILL damage the amp - or at best trip it's output protection (circuit breaker, fuse etc). You cannot do what you've proposed. Anyway, why not get two speakers for the rooms where you want better sound than is available from the summed mono types. Those speakers are meant for rooms too small for two speakers, such as above the shower etc. When you want to upgrade the sound quality, get two of whatever quality speaker you desire.

Its not good on the amp - also, you will be left with the difference of audio between the channels. Anything common to the channels will be cancelled out !

Back in the "old" days this was the way they made a psuedo surround sound for the rear channels. The rear speakers were put in series with each other and connected to the left + and the right + on the amp. But, it also had the normal left and right channels for the front.

After reading again, I realized he was talking about summing - I went to delete my own post and thats not allowed !

Mr Moderator, a user should be able to delete his own post ! You have option for it under editing !