Cornwall Bass-reflex speakers?

Proko03

You searched the forum and found no information on Cornwalls, uhh you must be kidding! Use the search field in the upper right hand corner and type in Cornwall and see how much information comes up.

If they are in excellent condition or better and all the drivers are original and functioning 100%, $1K is not an unfair price. If they are birch raw that is on the high side, but if they are Walnut or Oak it is right in line.

Welcome to the forum!

In a nutshell, bass reflex is a design which goes back to the earliest days of loudspeakers. It takes the sound coming off the back of the woofer and brings it around to where you can hear it. Cutting a hole in a speaker baffle to let this bass "escape" is easy. How to do it properly is where the art and science comes in ...

Proko,

There's no difference between regular old cornwalls and cornwall bass reflex speakers. I think that's where you got stuck. The cornwall happens to be a bass reflex speaker. That's all.

Give us more detail on the ones you are looking to buy and we'll be better able to advise you. Year, finish, condition, serial #s, etc. Give us the info from the tags on the back of the speakers.

Thanks Freezing in Vermont, Capt.Bob andf Ganymd!

I'm in Portland, OR. Just moved here into a house (finally) from a Calif. apt. and love it. Was considering NH, VT. for a while, but Portland won me over. Good music scene here too, jazz and classical.

Okay, the Corwalls were bought new in 1967 (same owner I guess), dark walnut, and judging from the photo they look pretty good. That's all I know. I'll try to get him on the phone.

those are very nice speakers! I would love to have a pair, they have all the good heritage family values (dynamics, clarity, power) they go nice and deep in the bass. if they are less than $1k in great condition go for them, you can always turn them over again on ebay , audiogon or here. if you decide not to buy them please post more details and contact information here so other board members can try to acquire them. warm regards, tony

----------------

On 10/29/2004 5:22:09 PM Proko03 wrote:

Okay, the Corwalls were bought new in 1967 (same owner I guess), dark walnut, and judging from the photo they look pretty good. That's all I know. I'll try to get him on the phone.

----------------

Those are highly collectible "vertical" Cornwall II's, i.e, the midrange and tweeter are mounted vertically. These are the most highly sought after of the Cornwall series. If they're in good shape, $1000 is absolutely the right price (I have two pairs at the same price).

You'll love them if they're mated with some nice, quality amplification.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Something is amiss with those date codes. This is what an early Cornwall label looks like:

Cornwall II label1.gif

The decoder ring for the Cornwalls is as follows. The letter in the serial number gives you the year:

1962 A

1963 B

1964 C

1965 D

1966 E

1967 F

1968 G

1969 H

1970 I

1971 J

1972 K

1973 L

1974 M

1975 N

1976 P

1977 R

1978 S

1979 T

1980 U

1981 W

1982 X

1983 Y

Given your serial numbers, I think they're actually pre-1962 which would make them VERY collectible if in good shape. Frozen-in-VT just scored a real early pair. Perhaps he could chime in. We debated the serial number game pretty hard a few months back.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

post-4827-13819259078756_thumb.gif