Sealed VS Ported Subs

HeywoodJa

We did a side by side test last night of the Velo vs. SVS. We both own Klipsch reference speakers so we can remove any thoughts that the speakers made the difference in this test. We first tested some movies with some heavy base scenes - Star Wars 2 the scene where the ship is landing before it gets attacked. The SVS shook the house but in a slow rumbling way. The Velo did not fare well - it seemed to rattle and sound like it was going to break to pieces. The next movie we tried was Behind Enemy Lines the scene where he runs through the gauntlet of mines. WOW I see now what the Velo offers big slam in you face for each explosion whereas SVS made the house shake but no salami slapping the couch. It was about that time when my wife yelled "turn it down" that we decided to test music on a day she would be out of the house.

Does anyone know why the velo would have rattled for SW but be kick *** for behind Enemy Lines? I am assuming that it could have been a very low bass signal.

----------------

On 11/2/2004 3:19:48 PM HeywoodJa wrote:

We did a side by side test last night of the Velo vs. SVS. We both own Klipsch reference speakers so we can remove any thoughts that the speakers made the difference in this test. We first tested some movies with some heavy base scenes - Star Wars 2 the scene where the ship is landing before it gets attacked. The SVS shook the house but in a slow rumbling way. The Velo did not fare well - it seemed to rattle and sound like it was going to break to pieces. The next movie we tried was Behind Enemy Lines the scene where he runs through the gauntlet of mines. WOW I see now what the Velo offers big slam in you face for each explosion whereas SVS made the house shake but no salami slapping the couch. It was about that time when my wife yelled "turn it down" that we decided to test music on a day she would be out of the house.

Does anyone know why the velo would have rattled for SW but be kick *** for behind Enemy Lines? I am assuming that it could have been a very low bass signal.

----------------

What the hell is this salami slapping the couch... I'm a little scared to ask.

Seem like the velo counldn't handle that low frequency in starwars that lucas is famed for.

----------------

On 11/2/2004 4:28:50 PM Jay481985 wrote:

What the hell is this salami slapping the couch... I'm a little scared to ask.

----------------

The phrase is "whacking a sofa with a salami". It was coined sometime in the mid 70's by Audio magazine to describe the "wooly" bass of underdamped woofers.

The Velo, being sealed, offers much "quicker responding" (for lack of better term) bass. I've noticed in my own system that sealed subs have a very hard impact, but lack the lower extension that shake things long-term. The ported designs then shake things really well. That is why for a long time, I ran a sealed and ported sub together. Without my sealed sub hooked up, there was no slam and the bass sounded muddy and "slow". With only the sealed sub, there was huge impact, but no sustain. When running them both, though, it seemed that the better qualities of each held together. This has to do, mainly, with characteristics of each box type, I'd say.

----------------

On 11/3/2004 12:51:05 AM tpg wrote:

The Velo, being sealed, offers much "quicker responding" (for lack of better term) bass. I've noticed in my own system that sealed subs have a very hard impact, but lack the lower extension that shake things long-term. The ported designs then shake things really well. That is why for a long time, I ran a sealed and ported sub together. Without my sealed sub hooked up, there was no slam and the bass sounded muddy and "slow". With only the sealed sub, there was huge impact, but no sustain. When running them both, though, it seemed that the better qualities of each held together. This has to do, mainly, with characteristics of each box type, I'd say.

----------------

From your little descripton I know you do not have any serious main speakers,as solid near full range mains will enable you to cut the sub around 40Hz.There your perception no longer applies.As Around 40Hz and below there is no such thing as slam or the so called "speed".

Also your description tells me you have peaks and dips in the response,your subs are NOT set up right.If they were you would not post what you just did.

I had the receiver set up at a 100Hz or so crossover. I am running RF-3 mains... they have a decent low-end response. I just don't run them that way... I leave my receiver settings alone for the most part. I don't like the way my recevier sounds when it is crossed over lower. It does not have a good bass response, IMO.

I was generalizing, ear... the poster's setup is probably also crossed over high, as per most home theater receivers. I agree, though, subs cut low get rid of all those differences in "speed" and such.

I don't have a dedicated home theater room so to speak, so I cannot make it acoustically perfect. Nor do I have a spare $10000 every time I want to upgrade one component. I love upgrading and such, but I do so on small scale, usually.

----------------

On 11/3/2004 2:16:14 PM tpg wrote:

I don't have a dedicated home theater room so to speak, so I cannot make it acoustically perfect. Nor do I have a spare $10000 every time I want to upgrade one component. I love upgrading and such, but I do so on small scale, usually.

----------------

Well said. What you say speaks for many of us, tpg.