La Scala Pro Model Speaker vs La Scala Speaker?

kilowattski

'ski,

Go to the search box which is just at the top right of the main forum page. Put in Industrial LaScala (rather than pro or La Scala). You'll get links to about a dozen threads. In one I've posted a spec sheet. You can find a spec sheet for normal LaScalas in the product section.

The difference is that the industrial uses a heavy duty woofer which is said to have not quite as good response. I can't confirm or deny. These things are thrashed in commercial uses and probably goosing up the bass with a equalizer and use of big amps are common.

Also, the industrial used the latest crossover with steeper slopes and tweeter protection. My recall is that it is the same as the latest home LS. Of course the home LS goes back several decades and used ones will have earlier crossover designs.

With the exception of some early prototypes, all domestic LS have the same one piece natural birch ply cabinet. Owners paint, veneer, cover with pink shag carpet, etc. Smile.

The industrials were made in several different styles. One is a one piece birch ply painted black with metal trim and handles. Others got split, others got fiberglass treatment. I'd think these cabinets basically don't alter sound.

Best,

Gil

Gil,

Thanks for the tip. Found lots of interesting info on Industrial LS.

Now the next question...

I have the choice of 2 normal La Scalas and 1 center channel Industrial La Scala,

or 3 Industrial La Scalas for my Home Theater Front left, center, right speakers.

Any opinion on this?

Thanks

Dave

No opinion really. This is mostly because we don't have data on how closely the electrical stuff in those component groups match . . . in fact. You can check the hardware items. E.g. same x over, woofer, etc.

There is a school of thought, and one which I think is very valid, that the three speakers in that LCR array should be pretty much identical. So with no other info, I'd go that way.

This is the "timber match" theory. Of course this is "honored mainly in the breach"* in most HT systems where the center is smaller because it has to fit on top or under some video screen. This size issue does not seem to be an issue with you though.

OTOH, there may be no need to be too exact if you have the urge to mix things up a bit. It seems to me that the acoustic setting of a center and the flanking unit is different and so there is gonna be a different response with even a matched set. But the three LS of any variation should be so much "peas in a pod" compared to anything else that you can't go too far wrong.

Best,

Gil

* The tradition of sobriety in Denmark is honored mainly in the breach. Then there are the Klipsch gatherings.