Which Klipsch Speakers would YOU suggest?

Another Woman

Hi JT1,

Are you the guy in Florida who helped me find my second set of 4.2's over a year ago?

You're right about the type of music that my mom and her friend are likely to be listening to. Hm, I started bidding on Heresy's, but maybe this information would make me change my mind. Part of what I particularly like about my KG4's is that they have much better bass than my KG4.2's. If we weren't going to invest in a subwoofer, then does that mean the KG4's would be better because they have a better bass response? When I asked my mom about the sound they like, about all she could say is that her friend REALLY (!) likes to turn up the bass.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tamara

"Tamara, I assume from your posts that your mom and male friend won't be listening to rock music at high levels, but perhaps easy listening, soft rock/pop, jazz, or even classical at lower, more normal listening levels. This being said, I also agree that either the original Heresy or Heresy IIs would be excellent Heritage loudspeakers for the Marantz receiver you bought for them. Just a thought...you may want to consider a 12" powered subwoofer to handle the bass frequencies below 60Hz. I don't know how important acurate bass response is to the two of them, but it is a well known fact the Heresys don't produce a whole lot of bass. Then again for their particular musical tastes, they may not have a need for a sub; you may want to bring this subject up with them as well and see where they stand on the issue. Klipsch make many size subs at all price points, so check Klipsch's website for info and specs. Of course you can always buy from eBay or AudiogoN for new and used subwoofers at discounted prices.

Just a thought is all. Good luck in the loudspeaker search."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it's me, Tamara (man, has it been over a year already?)

If they don't want to spend the extra money on a subwoofer right now, then maybe you might want to reconsider on the Heresys, especially if your mom's friend is a bass-freak. For your present budget, I'd think just about any of the KG-series horn speakers will work well for them...from the KG 3 (36Hz-20kHz±3dB) on up to the KG 5.5 (34Hz-20kHz±3dB). My youngest brother owns a nice pair of used KG 5.5s (paid $250 on eBay), and doesn't need a subwoofer for them they play plenty low enough for his needs (and he'll play anything from industrial/gothic/dance/alternative rock to classic symphonic/pipe organ compositions at well over 100dB)!

Have they ever heard your Klipsch loudspeakers? If they have and they like what they heard, then check out eBay for KG-series deals. Of course, if they're willing to spend more, there are plenty of other Klipsch models to choose from with decent bass response.

Jim

----------------

On 11/5/2004 11:24:07 PM Another Woman wrote:

There is a KG4 on eBay that has a rear cover for the passive radiator missing. They say it has no effect on the sound and would be merely a cosmetic issue. Is this true?

----------------

If it's just the dust cover to the passive radiator that's pushed in, it shouldn't affect the sound quality at all IMO. But it looks like hell...I hate the fact that kids love to push dust covers in every time they come across 'em, which is why I always leave my grilles on my loudspeakers every time our friend's kids come to the house. Out of sight, out of mind! If they don't know they're there, they won't get the urge to mess with them.

Sorry for the rant...

Oops...did an eBay search and reread your last statement. The dust cover is missing, not dented/pushed in. Either case, I still think it's only aesthetics, and has nothing to do with the sound if it's not there (or pushed in). It's almost midnight here and I'm gettin' tired...5.gif

Hey Jim,

It's nice to chat with you again. I hope life is treating you well. The little round cover/circle looks like it might be 3 or 4 inches in diameter. It is on the BACK of the speaker, so basically no one would ever see that it was missing. However, if a person wanted to replace it, is there a way to do it? Oh yeah, and Heresy grills, is there a way to get replacement grills?

Could you tell me which of these Klipsch speakers that we've been chatting about have good bass response? It's good to know that the Klipsch KG5.5 has good bass response. My mother has heard my 4.2s, but her friend hasn't. I don't think they're going to be too picky. I think they'll be delighted with any of these speakers that we've been talking about. I just was hoping to do a good job of putting stuff together that they will enjoy.

Thanks so much to all of you for helping me learn more about Klipsch speakers. This is fun. I'm passing your thoughts on to my mom and she's enjoying it too.

Tamara

It's nice talking to you again as well, Tamara. Since the dust cover is missing off the rear passive radiator, then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I don't know if there are any replacement dust covers...maybe repair firms who do speaker foam surround replacements can do that kind of work as well. You could always e-mail Klipsch Customer Support:

support@klipsch.com

and ask if they do that (or know anyone who can). Same too, for Heresy grille cloth. If I recall, I've seen recent threads throughout these Klipsch Forums concerning replacement grille cloth; you can do a forum search to see if others know for sure.

Like I said earlier, the least expensive KG loudspeaker with decent bass response is the KG 3:

..."I'd think just about any of the KG-series horn speakers will work well for them...from the KG 3 (36Hz-20kHz±3dB) on up to the KG 5.5 (34Hz-20kHz±3dB)."

Every KG from the KG 3 all the way through to the KG 5.5 has decent bass response in the low to mid 30Hz range, the KG 5.5 being the lowest with 34Hz. You can do a search through the entire KG-series on Klipsch's website to see each and every one's frequency response...obviously the KG 2.5V on through to the entry-level KG 1 Plus has a bass response of 50Hz or higher, and would benefit from a subwoofer for better bass.

Hm, I did a search and it is interesting what they say about grill cloth. I guess it could be replaced relatively easily.

Thanks for the info about how to figure out the bass response. I guess it's listed as the lower end of the frequency response. I didn't understand that before. So my KG4's are listed as 38 Hz, the 4.2's as 36 Hz, the Heresy I as 50 Hz, and the Heresy II as 63 Hz. Why do my KG4's have better bass than my 4.2s if the 4.2s are actually listed as having lower bass capacities? Does it have anything to do with the passive radiator on the 4.0?

I guess that's a big difference in the bass response between the 4.0s and the Heresy's.

Hiya, Jim!

...and Tamara, too. Here I go with the DIY thing again, but! PartsExpress has very good active subwoofer kits for very reasonable prices. If you went with a pair of smaller Klipsch speakers, it would be really easy to use, as Jim said, an active sub (a 10" driver would be very good, too, I think)in conjunction with them.

Let me find the link for PartsExpress, and I'll post it below. Those subwoofer kits only take about an hour or two to put together, and are already finished! I've thought about one for myself, too!

Erik

Sorry to enter so late, but if you want good bass response I would go for the Forte's. I have them and Heresys and they win hands down. ALso the latest craze seemed to be the old HK series SS amps. I bought a HK430 for $50 and am now looking for another one with more power (730 or 930). They seem to help with the bass response to.

JMO

Erik has a great idea...an inexpensive DIY subwoofer. My last DIY 15" subwoofer I had a few years ago consisted of a raw Dayton Audio sub driver from PartsExpress.com (one of my brothers also bought their 250 watt plate amplifer for his homebuilt sub). We've bought several items from Parts Express over the years, and they are a very reputable firm with decent products at decent prices.

Since your mom shows an interest in DIY projects, this subwoofer kit Erik mentions would be a great learning experience for her. This way, she could still buy a pair of Heresys or any other Klipsch loudspeaker she likes that's a little bass-shy. But even full-range loudspeakers like your KG 4.2s (and great sounding Fortes like tillmbil mentions) can still benefit from using an active subwoofer (with its own built-in amplifier)...even my Cornwalls (and to an extent, even Klipschorns) can benefit tremendously from a subwoofer (or two...many forum members use subs with their Klipschorns and RF-7s, especially for home theatre use).

I'm no expert by any means, Tamara, but I think you may hear what sounds like more bass from your KG 4s due to their passive radiators blasting towards the rear wall. A powered subwoofer generally sounds louder (not neccessarily lower, and at times boomier) near the corner of a room close to the walls, which kinda act as a reflector bouncing bass frequencies and projecting them into the room. I assume this could give the illusion of producing more bass than your KG 4.2s...with loudspeakers of any type, placement in the room is always crucial.

Just my two cents...2.gif

Hi Erik and JMO,

JMO, you're not too late. Thanks for joining the thread. So Erik, building a subwoofer sounds fun. I'd like to have one too. What size of subwoofer would KG 4.2's or KG 4.0's need? And what size would be right for Heresy's; I think you said 12" for them.

At the moment I have the high bid on some Heresy's. I won't know how that turns out until this afternoon. The Fortes look good. I see their bass goes down to 32 Hz. I think that's the lowest of any of these I've been looking at. What do others think of the Fortes? They are certainly more expensive; but then they might not cost more than speakers and a subwoofer combined.

Plus, you know, we do have this MAF (Mother Approval Factor) thing to navigate. I have to figure out what my mother will actually feel comfortable LIVING with in her house. Speakers that could function as end tables are winning points, as are speakers with walnut finishes. If a subwoofer could hide behind something and not be very noticeable I might be able to get her to feel Ok about that.

This is truly an unknown adventure. For forty years I've heard my mom talk about wanting to listen to music, but she's hardly ever done it. I wonder if we'll turn her into an audiophile? Thanks for helping me try.

Tamara

I've never auditioned a pair of Fortes or Chorus loudspeakers, but any version of these two classic models will certainly do your mom's system proud! Many forum members here own Fortes, Chorus (or both), and they swear by 'em...their fullness, dynamics, and excellent soundstage and imaging make their owners never wanting to sell them...ever (do a forum search on any versions of the Forte or Chorus...their owners keep them, only trading up to Klipschorns)! Some use them with subwoofers added for lower bass, but subs are not a necessity with them. Again, another option to consider...Klipsch made (and still makes) a diverse amount of horn speakers; there are literally hundreds to choose from.

On the subject of turntables, I owned a fantastic Denon DP-62L from the '80s with a Sumiko Blue Point moving coil phono cartridge...very nice for a high-end direct-drive unit. Still, others own belt-drive 'tables that literally costs thousands, with their esoteric $1000+ cartridges and phono preamps! You can go for the cheapie Sony, Stanton, Gemini, and Numark models used by beginner DJs; more advanced/pro DJs use top-of-the-line Technics 'tables. You can find many great used 'tables on eBay from AR, Yamaha, Sansui, Technics, Pioneer, Dual, Thorens, Denon, etc. Or you could buy a new Music Hall MMF-2.1 belt-drive 'table with a factory-installed Goldring Elan moving magnet phono cartridge already set up and ready to play for $314 on AudioAdvisor.com. How sophisticated a turntable do they want, and how much are they willing to spend on a decent 'table and cartridge? I assume the Marantz receiver has a phono section, so they can connect the 'table directly to it.

----------------

On 11/6/2004 12:06:35 PM Another Woman wrote:

Do you guys "do" turntables? They need one to go with this system. What would you suggest?

----------------

Yeah, this group definitely does turntables. If you search the 2-ch forum for "turntable", you'll get a lot of interesting reading.

Two areas, as JT suggests. Ebay or Audiogon (better) for used TT. Setup is critical and life left on the cartridge. I have a Music Hall TT and love it. The MMF2 he suggests is quite nice and is an excellent value for the TT NEW. Warranty as well.

The other deal to consider for vinyl is to clean the collection that they have. Various vacuum cleaners for vinyl are made (like the Nitty Gritty), but they can be washed nicely by hand for little money. Search "cleaning LP" or similar for threads on this subject.

Clean LP's make a huge difference.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems