Is it worth buy HK AVR-130?

christjared

I have found a few of these on the internet. Are these good receivers? I dont want to spend that much money and these seem to be a great buy for the money. Does anyone have one of these? Tell me about it. Will it work with 6ohm speakers because im going to use it on my KG4's? Any info would be awesome! Thanks

The AVR 130 is an awesome receiver. It is very conservativly rated at 55 watts per channel. I have the 125, running with my Heresy's, and get a decent output. I usually cant get past -15 db on it. It also has a great tuner. Doesnt have a lot of inputs though, but its enough for me. They do tend to get warm though, so put it in a well ventilated area.

Well you know what I think I suggested it in your other thread...

But, yes, all h/k receivers are high-current and will drive down to 4 ohms easily. Relative to the bit more expensive avr-230, the avr-130 is a 5.1 receiver at 5 x 45W into 8 ohms (more into your 6 ohms), versus the avr-230's 7.1 receiver at 7 x 50W into 8 ohms. The 7.1 vs 5.1 might not be an issue for you. The other main difference is that the avr-130 has only a pre-out for the subwoofer while the avr-230 has pre-outs for all 8 channels (so you can later add external amplification).

I would greatly recommend the avr-130 if you have little cash and are on the fence about it. Nice machine. Nice bass management for when you get that sub eventually.

----------------

On 11/10/2004 9:32:10 PM psg wrote:

But, yes, all h/k receivers are high-current and will drive down to 4 ohms easily.

----------------

Will they drive 4 ohms easily? I have the HK 525 and am about to buy some 4 ohm speakers. I did some googling and no where have I found them claim anything about 4 ohms ratings. I even saw in a few places that people said don't use 4 ohm speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if they do, just checking though because that would make my life a lot easier.

----------------

On 11/10/2004 11:18:42 PM amonteiro wrote:

----------------

On 11/10/2004 9:32:10 PM psg wrote:

But, yes, all h/k receivers are high-current and will drive down to 4 ohms easily.

----------------

Will they drive 4 ohms easily? I have the HK 525 and am about to buy some 4 ohm speakers. I did some googling and no where have I found them claim anything about 4 ohms ratings. I even saw in a few places that people said don't use 4 ohm speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if they do, just checking though because that would make my life a lot easier.

----------------

1- The avr-325 was reviewed in the June 2003 issue of "Home Theater" and the amplifier reached 0.1% distorsion at 135W and 1% distorsion at 157W.

2- The h/k receivers are listed at Future Shop is being 4-ohm capable.

3- A friend of mine has 4-ohm Magnat speakers and wasn't ahppy with the sound with his Onkyo receiver. He wondered because his receiver was specifically not rated for 4 ohms. We plugged in my avr-325 and what a difference it made. With the Onkyo, the sound was flat, no dynamics, no bass. With the h/k it was all the opposite.

IF YOU ONLY NEED TWO CHANNELS: I have NOT directly compared the new AV630 to my $5 harmon/kardon 330B, but compared to ASLs AQ1003DT 30-watt EL34 integrated tube amplifier and my flea-powered tube Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour amplifiers, the 330B is the bargain of them all. Of ocurse, with big ole horns, both tube amplifiers sounded much better than the heavy AVR630.

From a previous post: In the "X"30 series of stereo receivers, the 430, 630, 730, and 930 models were twin-powered. The original line-up of the "X"30 twin-powered receivers just consisted of the 630 and the 930...after a couple of years being out, the 430 was added (1976 model year), and the 730 was also added the same year, but the 630 was dropped in favor of the 730 at the same time. H/K continued making twin-powered receivers AFTER this particular series was dropped (end of 1977 model year), but many believe that PARTICULARLY with the "X"30 twin-powered models, H/K "got it right"!

The 330B and the twin powered 430, 730 and 930 series, which are supposed to be better, sell for $10 to $125 dollars on eBay, dollar for dollar, those are the best solid-state amplifiers for big ole horns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50596&item=5731524174&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2.gif