Cable vs. vcr sound problems

ignorance_is_not_bliss

Okay, here's something different to ponder... Present configuration of my audio and video includes my cable (no box) into my vcr, then routed through my receiver. Problem is sound quality. I do not have a digital decoder for the cable to be routed straight through my receiver, and therein lies the problem. Any suggestions on how I can route the cable through the receiver, and get a much richer sound without having to turn on my vcr and run the sound through it?

Hmmm, I have a similair question.... what are the pros/cons to running your cable through your receiver? Is sound going to be the only benefit?

The reason I ask is that this weekend the cable guy is coming to upgrade my current cable to digital cable. (somehow my wife negotiated this with 6mos free HBO in trying to pay our bill...somehow we will be paying less a mo.?) In doing this he will be putting in a cable box. So before he gets here, I am debating weather or not to have it run from the Cable box through the reciever and to the TV or, from the cable box just to the TV?

I know the Denon 3803 I own is capable of upconverting the video signals to the TV but is that even a factor with cable TV?

i dont know about that. i mean it really depends on your audio equipment, i ran my cable into my ht using the vcr, and it sounded terrible not terrible, very sad, maybe the poster who said it should not effect sound has a smaller rig? just curious, because every time i have made the attempt, with pretty good vcr's and mediocre to great audio it always sounds terrible?

----------------

On 11/19/2004 8:26:17 AM marksdad wrote:

i dont know about that. i mean it really depends on your audio equipment, i ran my cable into my ht using the vcr, and it sounded terrible not terrible, very sad, maybe the poster who said it should not effect sound has a smaller rig? just curious, because every time i have made the attempt, with pretty good vcr's and mediocre to great audio it always sounds terrible?

----------------

There's no reason why it should sound any different at all. The VCR will just pass the signal on down the line. I run cable direct to TV and to VCR. Then I run audio outs to the receiver. I can't tell a difference if I pick up the cable signal from the TV or the VCR first, they both sound good and they both sound the same. I suspect something else is going on.