Trans Siberian Orchesta concert

BobbyT

I went to the concert at the Palace in Louisville last night. This was one of the best shows I've ever seen bar none. And I've seen a lot of concerts. The CD does not do them justice, they must be seen live to fully appreciate their talent. TSO did the entire Christmass Eve and Other Stories CD with a great narrator telling the story. Then they did some stuff from Beethoven's Last Night and The Lost Christmass Eve and went into a little Zepplin. TSO also played a couple off songs from the album they are currently working on. Every musician and singer in this group is outstanding. The singer that replaces the late Daryl Pediford was very good especially considering the circumstances. The entire TSO has a great time on stage while performing. You can tell that they really enjoy what they do and have a good time performing which adds to the show. They did the full laser and light show and had great interaction with the audience.

Edit:I forgot to mention that TSO makes a donation to a local charity at every tour stop

Wow, very cool! Yea, it seems like they are on stage for ever.... they just keep playing and playing. I have seen them twice in the past and my thoughts are like yours, they are one of the best live shows I have seen! Excellent, can't wait for the show here in Grand Rapids.

I don't think Marty Friedman ever played with TSO. Al Pitrelli replaced Marty in 2000 in Megadeth and must have been doing the TSO thing on the side? I know the current line up is all different now for Megadeth, but not sure if Al is still with them or not, As he is in the current lineup as Lead Guitarist for TSO. Chris Caffery plays lead/rhythm on the East tour so I would think Al is on the West?

There ya go... you got my curiosity up, so I checked more into it, and found this:

In 1990, twenty-one year old Alex was tapped by Guitar World magazine to become a monthly instruction columnist. He has since written for Guitar World, Guitar Player, and Guitar magazines, the latter of which has featured him for over five years. It was around this time that Alex did his first guitar clinic. He has gone on to give guitar clinics across the U.S. and in Europe. In 1991, bassist extraordinaire Stu Hamm chose Alex to handle guitar duties on his national tour, opening the door beyond metal. Since leaving Testament in 1992, he has blossomed into an artist of profound diversity, going on to perform and/or record with Primus bassist Les Claypool and drummer Brain (currently of Gunsn Roses), Wyndham Hill recording artist Michael Manring, Attention Deficit (w/Michael Manring and Primus drummer Tim Alexander), Savatage, Ozzy Osbourne, keyboardist Adam Holzman (of Miles Davis), Broadway star Rob Evan (Les Miserables and Jeckyl And Hyde) and more. Alex continues to be a featured member of the smash hit holiday show Trans-Siberian Orchestra, performing to sold out crowds across the U.S. as well as appearing in local and national radio and television appearances. He has also become active as a composer; with credits including pieces for the EA video game "Hot Wheels Turbo Racing", the USA Networks broadcast of the 2002 Westminster Dog Show (a big band jazz piece), and the MTV series "Makin The Band."

----------------

On 11/13/2004 12:34:55 PM BobbyT wrote:

I went to the concert at the Palace in Louisville last night. This was one of the best shows I've ever seen bar none. And I've seen a lot of concerts. The CD does not do them justice, they must be seen live to fully appreciate their talent.

----------------

Oooohhhh! Now I am even more excited about this next Tuesday (23rd), when I see them in Richmond! 3rd row from the stage! Found out that they will also be in D.C. on the 15th of December. I am going to the Richmond show by myself, but I may have to talk my friends into going on the 15th up at the Patriot Center in D.C.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 4:48:10 PM BobbyT wrote:

You should be seeing the same group I saw In Louisville.

----------------

I believe I did.

Anyway, the following is cut-n-pasted directly from another forum. My impressions on the concert I just got back from seeing:

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Un-friggan-believable!

That has got to be one of the most incredible displays of musicianship and showmanship that I've ever had the pleasure to experience!

It is one thing to listen to thier CD.

It is another thing to listen to thier CD on a good high-end audio system

It is yet an entirely whole 'nother thing to see them perform live! Especially when you are seated maybe but 20 feet from the stage! Dead-center, with the lead vocalist right in front of you! Yes, that was exactly the seat I had. I honostly don't think I could've asked for a better seat! What was even funnier during one performance, everybody immediatly around me started looking in my direction! I was standing there watching what was going on stage, only to turn around and find one of the guitar players jamming out right behind me! Damn near bumped into him!

The first part of the show, they did the entire album Christmas Eve and Other Stories. If you think "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo (12/24)" gives you the chills, wait till you see it performed live! Wow! Now, that will give you the chills!

The second part of the show, they did various miscellanious tracks, some from thier non-christmas Beethoven's Last Night as well as tracks from thier new album, The Lost Christmas Eve. They also did a track from an brand-new, yet unreleased album, The Dark Castle or something like that. They did an awesome track from that album. I wish I could remember the friggan name of it!

Just the shear amount of talent that is displayed is phenomenal! Sorry, Mook, but you may have a good voice, but you got nothing on any of the vocalists that was there tonight! Including the small choir they had up there. They also had a whole violin section, plus the guy on the electric violin was awesome! And of course the guitars - all three of them! Wow! And then the drums! That drum solo had to of been seen to be believed! And then the keyboard - both of them! How I wish I could play even a fraction as good as these guys where.

The light show and pyrotechnics was another thing! That was a show in of itself! Incredible effects. Not only that, I sure could feel the heat from those flash-pots when they set them off!

Also, I found this to be a bit more upscale than your typical rock concert. People were dressed up as though they were going to church! Also, the range of people I've seen there. Everybody from children to senior citizens. Also plenty of folks from all races was there, black, white, hispanic, oriental, etc. Unlike, say the Rush concert I was at just this past August, which was predominatly white males my age (mid-30's).

If anybody on here is the least bit a fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra, you must see them live at least once! Truly an incredible experience!

And this is exactly the reason why I spent good money on a high-end audio system! If I can only come anywhere close to experienceing something like this at home. Not just simply listen to the music, but friggan experience it! Like as thought the band is right there in my living room!

Just friggan incredible!..... Now if I could get some tickets to the show on the 15th at the Patriot Center....

Did you see the group with Chris Caffery? That was the group we saw in Louisville. I agree with everything you said with one exception. There is no audio/video system or format available that can reproduce at home what one experiences at a TSO concert.

It will take you a while to come down from the concert. I don't think I have recovered completely. I'm still playing my TSO cds trieing to recapture the experience.

----------------

On 11/24/2004 4:38:03 PM BobbyT wrote:

It will take you a while to come down from the concert. I don't think I have recovered completely. I'm still playing my TSO cds trieing to recapture the experience.

----------------

Yes, it was the same group with Chris.

I may not get the visuals, as nothing short of a Star Trek Holodeck would be able to recreate actually being there.

However, I am damned amazed at how well my own system did reproduce the audio side of it, though. After hearing the track "Christmas Nights in Blue" from thier The Lost Christmas Eve album performed live, I got home and played that same track on the CD, which is performed with the same vocalist as I saw it live. I swear, it sounded just as good as I heard it live! I closed my eyes while listening, and I was immediatly transported back to that seat I had at the concert not even 20 feet from the stage, with the vocalist directly in front of me! It was truely a surreal experience!

I am not trying to brag about my system, but I just could not believe just how close the experience was listening to that track at home audio-wise as it was when I heard it live at the concert. I kept playing all sorts of tracks from all my TSO CDs (I have all four that they produced up to this point), including ones that they did not perform live at the show, and everytime, I found myself transported back to Floor 2, Row C, Seat 22 at Richmond Coliseum whenever I closed my eyes and let the music do its magic.

You do have a nice system, admittedly better than mine. I'm running the RF3-II package with a Yamaha 5760 and a Pioneer 45a, no external amps. Yes I'm jealous, not of equipment, but that you can recreate the experience of TSO live1.gif .

I am planning a new system sometime next summer built around RF7s or Heretige or possibly the new THX Ultra 2 setup. Either way this gives me a goal to shoot for1.gif .

----------------

On 11/25/2004 6:19:46 AM BobbyT wrote:

I am planning a new system sometime next summer built around RF7s or Heretige or possibly the new THX Ultra 2 setup. Either way this gives me a goal to shoot for
1.gif

----------------

Whichever way you end up, '7, Heritage, or THX Ultra 2, you will have an awesome system.

I'd love to hear that "Christmas Nights in Blue" track on a pair of Klipschorns, driven with the same B&K amp that I have, though. I bet it would be incredible!

----------------

On 11/25/2004 12:41:52 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

Did you guys know that Chris, Paul, and Jon of TSO also have a ProgRock band called Savatage? These guys are so talented. Here is the web address for there other project.

scooter

----------------

Oh yes, I've heard of Savatage, but I've never realized Chris, Paul, and Jon were in it. I have one of thier albums, Dead Winter Dead.

Interesting that you brought that up. I went and looked at the track listing on that Savatage album I have, and look what is track #12! "Christamas Eve (Sarejevo 12/24)"! Same thing TSO often plays. Somehow, I've never really thought that there may be a connection, until you brought it up in this posting. Very interesting indeed.

Also to add: It seems that "Christmas Eve/Sarejevo (12/24)" is really a Savatage song. The album, "Dead Winter Dead", that this track appears on, is dated 1995. Trans-Siberian Orchestra did not come into being until 1996. Interesting.

HELP gang, been hearing of this TSO band for quite some time and based on your concert reviews, visited the web site. FOUR Christmas albums!!!! First let me explain my musical tastes, then please convince me to go the the show in INdy this Monday (only two days- hope tix still avail).

I grew up on Yes and Floyd, always the theatrical, European extravaganza. Saw every Yes tour from Relayer (first concert ever) until current. Also a huge fan of holiday music. Looks like this TSO might be just the thing for me. Big stage, players who know their chops, classical edge to the repertoire, and the Holidays....

Even if tix N/A, think I'll go to the fieldhouse and give the scalpers a try. Sat in 4th row for Joe COcker a couple of years back and got 1/2 price for a single U2 seat last year.

What would be the FIRST TSO CD/DVD I should purchase today???

Thanks,

Michael

A TSO show is one of if not the best live show I've seen. And I've seen just about every major show to come through Louisville. Yes you should go see them live.

I would suggest you get Christmass Eve and Other Stories first. Their holiday CDs are a trilogy of stories and this is the beginning of the story. Plus it has Christmass Eve Sarjevo 12/24 on it which is reason enough to buy it. Make sure to read the story in the CD booklet and have the system cranked whichever CD you buy first.