HT Finished, looking for 2 channel

Beesley

Hey all,

I mostly post over in HT, but now I have a 2-channel audio question. Now that I have the HT finished (Legends) I'm looking into establishing a simple 2-channel room where I can just "enjoy" music, you know without being so critical about the placement of 5-7 speakers/subs ect/AVR set-up..................just a source, amplification, and two speakers. I heard some mirage OM-5 pushed by a yamaha DSP-A1 integrated amp a few years ago, and from what I can remember I was pretty impressed. Bass seemed pretty strong and clean from the dual powered 250 watt 8" subs each of the mirage sported. I can get a pair for about 1500.00, but I would like to know the following

1. 1500.00 is the budget for speakers (no sub, just 2 speakers)

2. What other Klipsh speakers might you recommend instead?

3. What are your opinion/experiences with Mirage OM series speakers as strictly 2 channel?

The only klipsch main speakers I've heard were RF-7, KLF-20, KSF-10.5, entire SF/SB and KSF/KSB synergy line, RB-5, RB-35, RF-35, RF-3, and RF-25....out of all these I enjoy the KLF-20 best. Thanks

-Pat

The speaker set-up may depend on the size of the room. Small room, look at Forte or Forte IIs. ($500-$600) Mid size room, check out Chorus, Chorus IIs or Cornwalls. ($750-$1100) If you have a lot of space and corners, you may want to consider putting a bit more into speakers and get Khorns. ($2K-$3K)

The setup would be in one of two rooms; either a medium 14x26 with two openings to other rooms, or a 12x14 room. I probably wouldn't be able to go the Khorn route unless I could audition; plus the wife likes our many windows and wouldn't want to block them (Marriage + speakers = compromise) How similar are the Chorus II to KLF-20? I love the legends for movies, rock, vocals, gutar, jazz... but they don't give me what I want in classical music. I don't know...they just don't sound as full for that type of music. Do any of you get tired of the ONE sweet spot.....you know the one where only the person sitting there gets the FULL capabilities of the material being played? I do when its more than just me in there. Would like something that can image well for multiple seating positions. Do the passive radiators on the Forte II and Chorus II project any sound to the rear, or just assist the active driver?

The passive radiators won't project music to the rear. They just aid in bass response and need to be near a wall to work properly. If that isn't an option, cornwalls may do the job for you although they're on the big side. They will give you everything you want for classical/rock/jazz and seem to be well in your price range.

Thanks for the replies, looks like I took a bit too long deciding though, they were sold last night. I guy down the road owns some Forte II hooked up to a scott something (not familiar wth much outsidew of HT) I'll go ask him for a listen.....and see whats up with all this two channel talk9.gif