Denon or Aragon? (Stoopid newbie questions)

professczar

Hi All,

I imagine that this will strike many of you as dumb questions, but here goes.

I will be purchasing a Klipsch 5.1 set-up for my HT (RF-7s, RC-7, RS-7s, and an

RSW-12) for which I have already selected (and bought) a Denon AVR-3805 as my

power source.

A couple of days ago, I was given a chance to buy an Aragon 2005 and Stage One

preamp for $3900. I hadn't planned on spending that much to drive the speakers (hence

the Denon receiver) but the price of the seperates strikes me as pretty good.

First question: is $3900 for the Aragon seperates an OK, good, or great price?

Second Question: is the difference between the Aragon seperates and the Denon

going to be *that* noticeable?

Thanks

----------------

On 11/14/2004 12:46:06 AM professczar wrote:

First question: is $3900 for the Aragon seperates an OK, good, or great price?

Second Question: is the difference between the Aragon seperates and the Denon

----------------

First question: That's a pretty damn good price, assuming they are brand new, authorized, A-stock gear.

Second question: Between that and the 3805? OH HELL YES.

Welcome to the forum!!!

The price for the Aragon pair is very good. There will be a significant improvement in dynamics of the Aragon over the Denon. The Denon has acoustic room correction that the Aragon Stage One does not have. The effectiveness of acoustic room correction varies from one room to the next.

I use a Pioneer that has a room correction feature, but I use it with an outboard amp. The Pioneer has some of the very best DACs made. I am not familiar with the DACs used in the Denon versus Stage One. Separate processors usually sound better than receivers, but effective room correction is a big plus IMO.

If I already owned the Denon, I would go with the Aragon amp by itself. Processors go obsolete very rapidly. A good amp should last 20 years.

Bill

Stage One MSRP = $4,000

2005 MSRP = $2,500

So, yes, that price is very good! However, as mentioned earlier, please insure they are an authorized dealer. Otherwise, you would be left without a warranty. Granted Aragon gear is typically bullet proof, but we can't speak of where this gear has actually been if not authorized.

And, yes, you will notice quite a difference between the Denon and the Aragon. Dynamics being 1st and foremost!

The DAC's found in the Stage One are Crystal Semi-Conductor CS-43122.

----------------

On 11/14/2004 1:03:05 AM MrMcGoo wrote:

I am not familiar with the DACs used in the Denon versus Stage One. Separate processors usually sound better than receivers, but effective room correction is a big plus IMO.

----------------

I am using a Denon AVR-302 as a pre-pro fronting a B&K Ref 200.7 amp. I don't know what kind of DACs are in the Denon, but it seems to be working very nicely as a pre-pro. I am happy with it.

To the original poster.

Oh yeah, you'll definitly notice an improvement in sound quality going with the Aragon stuff over just the Denon AVR-3805.

The price of the Aragon stuff looks to be an excellent deal, provided that is indeed an authorized dealer.

If you are willing to go with the Aragon, there are two things you could do. Keep the Denon and use it as a pre/pro with the Aragon amp, or you could return the Denon and get the Aragon gear. The Denon AVR3805 does have a couple nice features, such as the automatic room calibration and the video up-converting, though. But, I have a feeling that the Aragon will be a better unit in pure sound-quality.