Assuming this modded SME is a medium mass item:

LOMC cheap - Denon 103D

HIMC cheap - Denon 110 or 160

LOMC moderate - Denon 304

LOMC - pricey - Shelter 501

LOMC - more pricey - shelter 901

LOMC - very pricey = Shelter 90X

LOMC - you have got to be joking - ZYX Airy / Fugi

Giz a budget Pal-o-mine and we can come up with something I am sure (which, of course, you wont be - Shure that is).

But,

Fix the buzz first - I doubt it is the cart that is the problem (although it was dropped wasnt it...hmmmm).

----------------

On 11/23/2004 8:10:00 AM maxg wrote:

(although it was dropped wasnt it...hmmmm).

----------------

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Crushed by a 50# turntable, maybe something inside is discombobulated (but you'd think it'd hum all the time). Or it's feelings are hurt, that I could be so clumsy.

Fini,

You'd have figured it out on the first track if the cart was actually damaged. Stick with the basics - its definitely a grounding problem. If your Mac isn't grounded properly then you should bypass the ground on it and find a suitable alternative. You may have an outlet close by that's been grounded to the plumbing or at least the conduits that will suffice. If not you can usually get a pretty good ground by simply connecting a wire to the existing conduit or running one to the nearest piece of plumbing. Barring that, you'll have to bury a rod outside and make your own ground. Bottom line - you need a ground for the cartridge (and possibly the TT bearing) if nothing else to bleed off static charges which could damage the cartridge.

Have fun -Bryan

The Mac uses an un-polarized, 2-prong plug. None of the components have grounded power cords. Yes, the wall receptacle is grounded, so perhaps I will use a "power strip" with a metal chassis and accessible screw?

----------------

On 11/23/2004 10:24:58 AM mdeneen wrote:

Just take a long jumper clip and attach one end to the Mac ground lug or chassis, and the other end to the finger lift directly. If the problem goes away, as I suspect it will, then you have to take the arm apart to see where the connection is failing.

mdeneen

----------------

Mark,

I tried it, and yes, the buzz goes away. It also goes away if I jump from that binding post ground arrangement shown in the photo, to the house wiring ground at the receptacle. Given the apparent complexity of this arm, and as long as I am not creating a dangerous or stupid situation (although that is what I am bet at), I'd rather go the easier route, which seems to me to be the powerstrip screw bit (or replacing the Mac cord with a grounded version). Do I really have to disassemble the arm?

You do not need to rewire the arm--I used that arm on and off for years and I doubt anything has gone haywire inside the arm. I will send pics on how I ground my table and arm and if you follow muy lead you will not have any problems.

As far as cartridges go, it all depends on what your budget is. $100?

$300? $500? Are you brave enough to buy a SECOND HAND phono cartridge? I ALWAYS buy them second hand--you get REALLY good deals that way!

Are you saying you don't think it's pretty? Dang! I was hoping to sell the idea to Juicy Music...2.gif

As a make-shift solution, I have run a separate 12 ga. ground wire from the cover screw at the wall receptacle to the "ground box" (patent pending). I still get a miniscule hum, plus a static pop if I've been shuffling my feet on the carpet. The current weather conditions seem pretty good for static electricity. That problem seems to be minimized if I touch the receiver frame before touching the headshell.

Maybe I eat too many electrolytes or something. Could be the ground coffee....