RS-3 vs RF-3 for surrounds

TroyTN

I recently bought some RF-7s for my mains replacing my Forte II's which are for sale just sitting unused. Anyway I thought I would try putting my Forte's in the rear. Sounds pretty good. I currently have rs-3's for rears. I listen to alot of sacd and dvd audio so I'm thinking of a pair of rf-3's for the rear. Have to sell the Fortes, wife wants all black speakers. That was the deal. I can get all new speakers if I sell the Fortes.

So my question is does anyone had rf-3s or non wdst speakers for rears and how do you like it?

Any opinions on staying with rs-3's for rears or getting rf-3's for my rears? It seems the majority of people have rs-3's for rears over larger speakers.

Loks like I will have a pair of black rs-3s for sale and my Fortes.

Thanks in advance or your input.

Troy

Troy in Tennessee. Roll Tide!

As far as your question is concerned,I just so happen to have my Denon manual here and I quote from it:"Motion picture soundtracks use the surround channel(s) to provide the ambient elements of the acoustic environment they want the audience to realize.This is best accomplished by the use of specially-designed surround speakers that offer a wide diffusion pattern(bipolar dispersion)or by using surround speakers that provide broad dispersion with a minimum of on-axis localization(dipolar dispersion)."

"Producers of multi-channel discreet digital music recordings almost always favor the use of direct radiating(monopolar)surround speakers,placed in the rear corners of the room,since this is how they configure their studios during the mixing/creation process."

If you are more concerned about music,I would say go with RF-3's.I have monopoles for rears(main concern music)and like them.But then again I have WDST rears also.Would depend on what you want.If you like multi-channel audio and the WDST's don't cut it,go with the RF-3's.

BTW,do you have a DVD-Audio player?If so,care to give you opinions?And does anyone know a source of DVD-Audio software? Good luck Troy!

Keith

Good luck

Troy - What Keith is quoting is the reason many Denon receivers (and others, too, I'm sure) allow 2 different sets of rear speakers -- one for HT and another for music. Does your receiver support such a configuration? If not, perhaps you could keep both pairs and use a good quality speaker switch to select which pair you use, switching between the RS-3 for HT and the direct radiating for music?

On another note, if you like the Forte's better than the RF-3 (and I sure like my Forte's), why not paint 'em black? Klipsch says they use 30 sheen black lacquer spray...

Doug

As far as the painting goes,just recently painted some 3/4" MDF with gloss black lacquer that I bought at Home Depot.After several coats(dries quickly)buffed with spray wax and 0000 steel wool to knock the shine down.Looks pretty good.

Keith

I think I will keep with my rs-3's for my surrounds. Looks better and I have the Denon 5800 and I had both the rs-3's and fortes in the rears one on surround channel A and the other on B and switched between the two and I prefer the rs-3's over the direct radiating fortes. Mainly because the rs-3's are 7' off the ground and the fortes tweeters are just above the couch. A much better surround field with the rs-3's high up on the back walls. I do have a second pair of rs-3's on the side wall surrounds.

On the dvd audio/SACD. A great place to buy dvd audio music is www.dvdplanet.com and any tower records store or shop them on the net www.towerrecords.com

Some top notch rockin surround sound dvd audio is Steely Dan's Two against nature and Steve Stevens Flamingo a go go. These also have full 5.1 dts tracks on them that plays on every dvd player. Even if you do not have dvd audio, gets these dvd audio discs to play on your standard dvd player and be amazed...

------------------

Troy...