What would be a good Amp for my Forte II's?

krace

I clearly prefer tubes with big ole horns and frequently say so. The only exception I make so far is the lowly and inexpensive vintage harmon/kardon receivers for $25 to $100. Of course, I have NOT heard every $2-4K integrated amplifier or receiver on my classic Klipsch corner Khorns yet.

Next, I would consider a number of low cost antique integrated tube amplifiers for a coupla hundred, all of which need hundred-dollar refurbishing jobs by people like frequent poster NOSvalves. Look for models like Scott, Eico, Fisher and Dynaco. Once I heard an ugly gold-faced $40 Fisher tube receiver sound much better on big ole Klipsch Khorns than a monster Citation SS amp (at Atma-sphere Music in MN) some 30 years ago, I had to have it. I have been sold on HORNS & tubes ever since.

For new integrated tube amplifiers, ASL, Cayin and Jolida come to mind. They can run to $1K, but are well worth it compared to feature-laden, but chintzy sounding, solid-state receivers in the same price range.

2.gif

----------------

On 11/22/2004 4:29:33 PM Colin wrote:

I clearly prefer tubes with big ole horns and frequently say so. The only exception I make so far is the lowly and inexpensive vintage harmon/kardon receivers for $25 to $100. Of course, I have NOT heard every $2-4K integrated amplifier or receiver on my classic Klipsch corner Khorns yet.

Next, I would consider a number of low cost antique integrated tube amplifiers for a coupla hundred, all of which need hundred-dollar refurbishing jobs by people like frequent poster NOSvalves. Look for models like Scott, Eico, Fisher and Dynaco. Once I heard an ugly gold-faced $40 Fisher tube receiver sound much better on big ole Klipsch Khorns than a monster Citation SS amp (at Atma-sphere Music in MN) some 30 years ago, I had to have it. I have been sold on HORNS & tubes ever since.

For new integrated tube amplifiers, ASL, Cayin and Jolida come to mind. They can run to $1K, but are well worth it compared to feature-laden, but chintzy sounding, solid-state receivers in the same price range.

2.gif

----------------

I clearly repeat the Post by Colin.

dodger

my hafler-220 works extremely well with my heresy 1s... super low noise floor and very detailed... the hafler DH-220 and DH-200s can be found on ebay and audiogon for around $200.. just make sure they are checked out by an audio tech, there are some updates that the real old models will benefit from. i think for the price, they cant be beat. of course you will need to pair it with a pre-amp.

Since dodger is being so nice (maybe his guy won the election) I should point out that vintage MacIntosh amplifiers are also highly regarded in this forum with big ole horns. I heard them at Arkytypes, for preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas. I liked the Macs, but Arkytype had modified his horns, network and was using a Behringer EQ, so it is hard for me to say the what the Macs contributed to a overall wonderful sound. 2.gif

Both Todd Warnke and Stereophiles Dick Olsher gushed about the incredible looking Manly Stingray; A lovely design with matching soul, minimal but well-chosen parts, and an honest approach. And that's just the designer of the Manley Stingray integrated amp! The Stingray itself is, if anything, even finer. Using eight EL84 tubes (four per channel), a couple of 12AT7 input tubes and a pair of 6414 driver tubes, the Stingray is cheap to run but sounds like heaven. It looks like it too. The chrome chassis with black knobs and support feet is classy, as is the gold-plated, back-lit faceplate. And with 50 watts a side the Stingray has enough power for most normal installations. Best of all, the little Manley is one of those rare, more than the sum of its parts products. With surprising bass, a nuance and sense of detail with a joyful, musical personality. The Stingray is my favorite integrated... and is probably the best way to spend $2,250 on audio gear. -- Todd Warnke

The Stingray has, as of now, ascended to the throne as my reference at its power and price points. The Stingray is much more than just a catch of the day, I hereby nominate it as integrated amplifier of the year. -- Senior Editor, Dick Olsher

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/bestof2001.htm

Check out the Antique Sound Lab MG-SI15DT Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier at:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/antique-sound-lab-15dt-tube-amp-1-2001.html.

The editor said, "but, view it this way. The 15DT is an entry-level tube product, at an entry-level price, but is Class A and single-ended, which are two characteristics that tubophiles love. It's a bargain."

Your system will sound so sweet and engaging that you will enjoy it for years. Like someone said on another post, when you listen to horns with tubes, you hear music, not just sound.

Gettin'back to the $500 ballpark,and if music is a consideration.A used HK W/preouts(I saw a used 230 sell for $200)and a used... say B&K amp,just bought one $280 delivered 150x2 and in great shape.Thats just one example of used bargains,there are many.

----------------

On 11/22/2004 2:50:39 PM krace wrote:

Greetings,

I wanted to ask you guys what would be a good receiver/amp to power my Forte II's for under $500.00? Any brand names and models #'s would br greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

----------------

Krace,

If your options run to the used market I would audition the Monarchy SM-70 amplifier.

This amplifier has received rave reviews across the net for it's glorious sound as well as it's modest price.

You can pick up a used one for around $400.00 and if you wanted to build up (or needed more wattage) you could bi-amp when funds allow. I wanted to try one out before I purchased my current setup but never had the chance.

For a good review click here...

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/monarchy_sm70.htm

or Kelly's review...

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=10561&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={114C67CC-874A-4038-978C-FDB5680584E5}

Of particular interest is the Soundstage reviewers friends speakers...Klipsch Cornwalls, which sounded better with the SM-70 than the push-pull tube amplifier he was using.

My friend Mike (mmsiman) on this Forum is looking for an amp combination to mate with his Forte IIs and if it wasn't for his "taste" in music or high listening levels I would recommend this to him as well.

Jeff