rw-10 capabalities

filmguy

hi guys,

i'm from bombay, india where the choice of hi-fi components is limited and whatever is available is at a much higher price than the US.

i'm looking to add a subwoofer to my system for my room (15x14 ft.). i'll be using it for HT and music (all kinds).

even though i wld have loved to getting a SVS or HSU is out of the qs. the klipsch rw-10 just about fits into my budget and i was wondering what you guys thought of the sub. due to room limitations i'm going to be most probably place it in the corner next to the couch or next to the RPTV in the front.

i prefer a tight, punchy bass but also like to "feel" the bass in the movies. though i will try and listen to the rw-10 before buying it i might not be able to.

appreciate all the feedback

thnx

As a rule, I like to get as much sub as possible for HT. If the RW10 fits your budget then that is the one for you. I would think that the RW10 will drop off fairly quickly below 25Hz so you may not get the "feel" that you are looking for. If you have 8' celilings you have about 1680 cu/ft. I don't think that the RW10 will pressurize that much volume. Your idea to corner load the sub is a good one and should help in output. Carl. P.S. Welcome to the forum!

thanks carl.

unfortunately here we pay a big premium and to import the svs alongwith customs, taxes etc wld be prohibitive not to mention if anything were to go wrong servicing wld be difficult.

so basically my choices are limited to the following :

1) psb 5i (for the equivalent of $500)

2) psb subzeroi ($400)

3) wharfedale sw-150 ($400)

4) klipsch rw-10 ($450)

i was wondering what u thought of my choices.

also is the rw-10 a more "boomy" kind of sub like the deftech or more of a "musical" sub like the psb.

thnx

I haven't heard the PSB but I have heard the RW-10. The RW-10 is basicly a lower level RSW. The dBs on the RSW are greater and more defined, but the RW woofers are not boomy to my ears. They sound tighter and and alot better then the KSW woofers. I heard the RW-12 with RF-7s. Maxed out and in the right place could keep with them to a point. I figure the RW-10 may keep with the RF-35s. The RW-8 can be used with the RF-15 or RB-25s. Any higher and I would suggest a higher sub.

CD

thnx for your inputs guys.

i am trying to get demos of as many subs as i can frm the ones i listed above. hopefully i'll be able to decide then.

the rw-12 is a bit over my budget but i'll hv a listen and since u guys say that its a marked improvement over the rw-10 then i might as well give that a shot.

will update after the demo.