Klipschorns and subwoofers

DTLongo

I am weighing in late on an earlier string either here or in Two-Channel but for whatever my experience is worth:

Adding a subwoofer to a pair of Klipschorns well set up in good corners with a good amp is like bringing coals to Newcastle. The Khorns are so good to so low (35 hz.) that the sub won't add much at all to MOST music material.

But at the margin, on real low stuff, organ tones, etc., the sub will usefully complement the 'horns. But the 'horns are so efficient, the sub's volume need barely be opened. It is far too easy to overdo the sub volume and muddy up the whole sound. My Velodyne S1500R is happy with my '03 'horns & '04 Belle setup with the sub's volume knob, wholly off at 6:00, set to only 8:30 or 9:00. Xover is set at the lowest point, 40 hz.

On movies, the Khorns are impactful but don't really get down to 25 hz. or so explosions and guns boom and rumble. There, the sub is a definite asset. Plus, some program material is recorded bass-shy and there the sub can be turned up higher to compensate somewhat. Tom

I use an equalizer and an expander on the amp that drives the two K-Horns and after I added an RSW-12 subwoofer it helped fill the holes as you walk around the room and also at low volume levels really helped the bass response. My living room is an acoustic nightmare I might add. My subwoofer is fed by another Denon 7.1 processor/amp.

JJK

Hi Tom

I only use my Subs for HT, not 2 CH listening.

I run all channels on Large, The front 3 with no sub xover point, that way I only get signals to my Sub when they are on the .1 soundtrack on the front 3. My rears and sides are Heresys, so I also run large, but have my sub xover set to 80 hz to fill in where Heresys leave off.

In my config, most of my bass comes from my Khorn mains and sounds very natural. For explosions and loud sub movie mixes, where there is signal on the .1 channel, the subs add to the HT experiance nicely.

JM