Updating Cornwalls

fourxjake

I have a pair of 1979 Cornwalls that have played loud for 21 years. A friend of mine just bought a pair of RF-3s. I thought the mid/highs sounded better than my old Cornwalls and was wondering if mine are just tired or is the Tractrix horn better? I read somewhere about upgrading the Cornwalls with pro tractrix type horns. Does anyone have and info on what Pro horn I would use? I will never sell my Cornwalls and I'm confident I can blow the RF-3's away with some rework.The bass on the Cornys is still better. After all, the Hertiage speakers are immortal. I also have considerable better front end equipment than I heard the rfs on. Thanks

Start by wrapping the horns in rope caulk or Dynamat to damp their resonances. Then I'd look at crossover upgrades. I believe the Cornwall mod is described here:

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/Other/product_5472.shtml

It's possible to use, say a K-604 horn

on a Cornwall. The Cornwall has a crossover at 600Hz. I believe the 604 is a tractrix horn,

John

• 1 month later...

My La Scalas benefitted HUGELY from Dynamat on the squawker horn. The horn itself has small resonances within its frequency range that color the sound. Dynamat or rope caulk just about kill all of them and the sound is a lot smoother and more relaxed. My favorite electronics dealer said he hated La Scalas until he heard mine and he had to allow they didn't sound like horns.

John

• 1 month later...