Classical SACD Recommendation - MLP

No Disc

Stravinsky The Firebird on Mercury Living Presence.

I have several of the original Mecury LIving Presence LPs (Shaded Dogs) and while there performaces are outstanding and recording quality is superb, the vinyl noise is alway the downside of those older recordings (at least for me).

I read that the new MLPs were well done. I purchased several of the new MLP SACD releases, and I can say they do not disappoint. If you are even a little into classical, this is a must have SACD IMHO. Superb performance, sonics, soundstage, it's all there. If all SACDs sounded this good I might actually power off my phono pre-amp for a time and give it a rest.

firebird.jpg

post-8495-13819259549196_thumb.jpg

Additionally, this Living Presence SACD has three listening options: The mix used for the first release on CD, a new stereo mix for the SACD, and in three channel (Left, Center, Right) as originally recorded.

If you have the necessary equipment in your set-up, you can hear this performance in three discrete channels, as originally recorded.

The same thing was done for many of the recent RCA Living Stereo SACDs.

The Telarc label has always produced fine recordings.

Of course the 1812 overture on SACD is very good. But a lessor known piece by Carl Orff "Carmina Burana" is even better.

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0575&mscssid=04W7250N58QP8PC14URNNWVV5FE97AGA

"For his Telarc debut recording with the ASO, Runnicles leads the Orchestra and Chorus in a dramatic new performance of Carl Orffs popular concert work, Carmina burana. Joining the ASO in this powerful new recording are Hei-Kyung Hong, soprano; Stanford Olsen, tenor; Earle Patriarco, baritone; and the Gwinnett Young Singers.

This is the second recording of this large-scale work for chorus and orchestra that Telarc has made with the ASO (the late Robert Shaw conducted the previous release). Telarc returned to this particular work with the ASO forces in order to continue building its multi-channel surround sound catalog in the new Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) format. With the expanded dynamic range available in the new high-resolution recording technology, the theatrical elements of Orffs orchestrations and vocal settings are communicated with stunning immediacy and excitement.

Carmina burana is one of the twentieth centurys most widely performed works for chorus and orchestra. Premiered in 1937 in Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany, Carmina burana combines archaic poetry, simple, folk-like melodies, and motoric, primal rhythms to create images of the eternal springtime of the human soul. The poetry is taken from a collection of earthy thirteenth-century songs, written by students and vagrant clerics, and discovered in 1803 at the Benedictine monastery of Beuren in Bavaria. In 1847, J.A. Schmeller edited and published a number of the songs under the title Carmina burana ("Songs of Beuren"). From this collection, Orff selected the songs for his secular cantata, setting the poetry to his own original music.

The poems from Carmina burana are in two languages, described by one scholar as "distorted medieval Latin and Middle High German." For this recording, the choruses and soloists have endeavored to perform the lyrics as closely as possible to the way their thirteenth-century authors would have pronounced them. Diction coach Jeffrey W. Baxter was aided by the expert guidance of Professor John Austin of the Department of Modern and Classical Languages at Georgia State University in Atlanta.

In addition to his post with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Donald Runnicles continues as Music Director of the San Francisco Opera, and he was recently appointed Principal Conductor of the Orchestra of St. Lukes in New York. During the 2001-2002 season with the ASO, he will conduct the Britten War Requiem with the ASO Chorus in March; Act III of Wagners Die Walkure with Christine Brewer and James Morris in April; and a program of Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky in May."

Orff: Carmina burana

Funily enough I have just started sorting through the SACD's I bought way back when - as I picked up an SACD player at the weekend.

When I was buying there was an awful lot of Szell recordings out there - and I think I got most of them. If you dont like Szell - this list is almost useless. I dont mind him and there are a few Bruno's to soften the blow:

Thus far I have catalogued:

Wagner

Da Rheingold / Die Walkerie / Seigfried / Gotterdamerung / Die Meistersinger Von Nuremberg / Tristan und Isolde

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89035

Sony

2 channel

Brahms

Symphony No. 4

Columbia Symphony

Bruno Walter

SS 6113

Sony

2 channel

Mozart

1-3 Sinfonia Concertante / 4-6 Concerto in D major

Midori / Nobuko Imai / Christoph Eschenbach

NDR Sinfonieorchester

Christoph Eschenbach

SS 89488

Sony

5.1 channel

Grieg / Bizet / Mussorgsky

Pier Gynt / L'Arlesienne / Pictures at an Exhibition / Dawn on the Moskva River

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89414

Sony

2 channel

Beethoven

Symphony No. 3 / Egmont / Coriolan / King Stephen Overtures

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89341

Sony

2 channel

Schubert / Beethoven

Unfinished Symphony (8) / Symphony No. 5

New York Philharmonic

Bruno Walter

SS 6506

Sony

2 channel

Beethoven

Symphony No. 6

Columbia Symphony

Bruno Walter

SS 6012

Sony

2 channel

Tchaikovsky / Mendellssohn

Violin Concerto in D Major / Violin Concerto in E Minor Concerto

Isaac Stern

Philadelphia

Eugene Ormandy

SS 6062

Sony

2 channel

Rossini / Auber / Berlioz

Overtures : Il viaggio a Reims / La scala di seta / L'italiana in Algeri / Il Turco in Italia / La gazza ladra. Fra Diavolo. Le carnival romain

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89411

Sony

2 channel

Schubert

Symphony No. 9 in C major / Incidental music to Rosamunde

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89342

Sony

2 channel

Schumann / Weber

Symphony No. 2 in C major / Symphony No.4 in D minor. Oberon Overture

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89382

Sony

2 channel

Mahler/ Walton / Stravinsky

Symphony No. 10 Andante:Adagio: Purgatorio. Partita for Orchestra. Firebird Suite (1919 version)

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89415

Sony

2 channel

Vivaldi

The Four Seasons Concerti

Isaac Stern

Jerusalem Music Centre Chamber / Philadelphia

Eugene Ormandy

SS 89039

Sony

2 channel

Mendelssohn

Symphony No. 4 in A major / Incidental music to Midsummernight's Dream / Hebrides Overture Fingals Cave

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89343

Sony

2 channel

Mozart

Symphony No. 39 in E flat major / Symphony No. 40 in G minor / Exsultate, Jubilate

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89340

Sony

2 channel

Mozart

Piano Concerto 20 / 27 Concerto

Murray Perahia

English Chamber

Murray Perahia

SS 42241

Sony

2 channel

Bach

Concerto in F major / Partita No. 1 in B flat Major / Partita No. 2 in C Minor

Glenn Gould

SS 6141

Sony

2 channel

Handel

Water Music / Music For the Royal Fireworks

New York Philharmonic

Pierre Boulez

SS 89120

Sony

2 channel

Dvorak

Symphony No. 8 in G Major / Symphony No. 9 in E minor

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89413

Sony

2 channel

Rachmaninoff

Piano Concerto No. 3 + bits

Arcadi Volodos

Berlin Philharmonic

James Levine

SS 64384

Sony

2 channel

Strauss

Blue Danube / Pizzicato Polka / Delirien Waltz / Voices of Spring / Austrian Village Swallows / Perpetuum Mobile / Overture to Die Fleidermaus

Cleveland

George Szell

SS 89383

Sony

2 channel

Chopin / Rachmaninoff / Schumann / Liszt

Piano Sonata 2 / Etude-Tableau in C Major and in E Minor / Arabesque in C Major / Hungarian Rhapsody No 19 in D Minor

Vladimir Horowitz

SS 6371

Sony

2 channel

Haydn / Mozart / Fasch / Hummel Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra in E-Flat major / Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra in D Major / Concerto for Trumpert, Oboes and Strings in D Major / Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra in E Major

Wynton Marsalis

English Chamber

Raymond Leppard

SS 57497

Sony

2 channel

Gabrieli / Brade / Pezel / De Lassus / Holborne

Canzonas and Sonatas / Almand Gaillard / Suite / Providebam Dominum / Suite

Philadelphia / Cleveland and Chicago Brass Ensembles

SS 89173

Sony

2 channel

Copeland

Appalachian Spring / Billy the Kid / Four Dance episodes from Rodeo

London Symphony

Aaron Copeland

SS 89041

Sony

2 channel

Barry

Dances with Wolves

Film Score

ES 46982

Epic / Sony

2 channel

Tchaikovsky

1812 Overture / Polonaise from Eugene Onegin / Capriccio Italien / Marche Slave / Waltz from Eugene Onegin / Festival Coronation March / Cossack Dance from Mazeppa

Cincinnati Pops / Kiev Chorus / Childrens choir of Greater Cincinnati

Eric Kunzel

SACD 60541

Telarc

5.1 channels

Berlioz Symphony Fantastique / Love scene from Romeo and Juliette

Cincinnati Symphony

Paavo Jarvi

SACD 60578

Telarc 5.1

Mahler

Symphony No. 5