Start Home Theater Tuesday Nov. 30 2004

IndyKlipschFan

Roger (INDY): I TOTALLY know what you mean about not getting much sleep during the construction-phase!! I constantly laid wide awake because my brain was too busy feasing-out design issues all night long. It was a bit frustrating at times, but it's a lot cheaper to make a mistake in your head and work out the resolution than to just go forward and build your mistakes and then have to tear them out and rebuild them later! 9.gif Best of luck Pal! -Glenn

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down first flight..

The poster is of, "It's a Wonderful Life." Jimmy Stewart Donna Reed of a Frank Capra classic, and my all time favorite movie. I have the Original poster and Lobby card not only signed by Mr Stewart, (Who signed anything and everything, but also of Frank Capra that was very very rare.)

Picture 0022.jpg

post-5910-13819259568038_thumb.jpg

At the Bottom of the basement you can go right (Which will be an excersize room) or Left and do a "U"turn follow the hallway down the HVAC will be on your right wall following stairs on your left. You can see the Ticket Booth at the end of this hall way if you go right, and your in the Bar/Game Room... go Left and your in the HT.

Picture 004.jpg

post-5910-13819259576108_thumb.jpg

Framed out this is what we all dream of. The room looks fantastic the pic does not really show how big it is..I assure you it looks bigger than what this pic represents..LOL. I will get exact room dimensions in the next few days. The white sheet is the size of the screen minus a 3" frame. I am starting to consider a screen from the ceiling too so it comes down. Everything else you see before you will be either behind a Black Scrim or black velvet curtain. The idea is to get lost in the movie.

I have the three Cornwall's (II's verticals on their sides) across the front and the new THX Subs as well. The sound is huge just beyond my wildest dreams so far. Trey ceilings not touching anything above and a wall within a wall too. (We will see how this all helps to keep the sound down from the rest of the house.)

Picture 0133.jpg

post-5910-13819259595502_thumb.jpg

Ok last pic for now.. This view is from the stage back into the HT room.. You can see the Karaoke speaker system in the back of the room facing you on the stage. I love La Scalas sound (again when finished behind a scrim) but it really fills up the room just beautifully! I also have Cornwalls on their sides again in the rears. For now I have not used any side surrounds for 7.1 sound but in 5.1 ( well 5.2 really..LOL.. It is just blowing me away.) I am very very happy!

So step 2. Wiring cables pulled.. woo hoo. Gonna do it through conduit just in case I need to change things later too.

Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement I could NOT have done this room, without all of your helpfull suggestions!!

Picture%200082.jpg

post-5910-1381925961028_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Indy, your basement is gonna be FABULOUS, I am green with envy, but, I am very happy for you. The journey is almost complete. Yeah, right, always more, different, better?. Have fun, enjoy, in the bets of health. You are a good man, you deserve the best, and thank god, can afford it. 3.gif3.gif9.gif

Indy, I can't see the theatre for all the sticks. Get on with it! LOL

The double staggered 2x4 wall, while a great idea for sound transmission BETWEEN rooms, may not apply in most of your situation INdy. Reason, the left wall backs up to rec room, who cares, front wall is complete below grade, right wall partly below grade. back wall, another public area. There's really no point where you need to insulate against sound transmission to the outside world.

Remember SPEED CITY ROCKERS, the band I worked for? Al made a double wall in his nearly all above-grade 1st floor walk-out basement so the band could practice at a gillion dB. IMHO you don't need this protection.

DO THIS THOUGH! If you're using batt fibreglass, make sure that the vapor barrier (paperbacking) is on the living side of the room and stapled to studs. Otherwise, run thin wire zig-zag across the BACK of studs. fibreglass CANNOT contact the cement, there will be moisture, the fibreglass will soak it up like a mother and will get heavy and sag in the wall. In a couple of years, you'll have soggy, yellow piles 'o dough settled in the bottoms of your walls. We always got around this by keeping the stud walls about 3/4 "in from the concrete wall (which usually aren't perfectly plumb anyway. Please check before insulation is complete and you begin drywall! Call if more ??

Yer bud Michael - who bought Nemo the other day. KSW12 and 2x Corns not bad in 'sub slide' mode! wwooo hhhooo

Smilin.. Thanks.. Just amazing what 5 cornwalls will do. Guess I also followed your lead too! I will re connect the Heresy's to make it a 7.2 room (Used as side fills) but for now, it is just incredible!

Colterphoto1.. Yep good points but wanted to enjoy the other rooms without too much wham bam..LOL I am aware of the insulation tip looking into some other areas too.

Dr Who.. Actually Klipsch monitors. They are fantastic too. KSM 12 II's. Very efficient cut through stage noise to deliver vocals where ya need em too. I do not see these anymore on the Klipsch BB but they really are nice.

Indy,

If you are trying to keep sound inside the HT room, it's not too late to take a look at this stuff that just came to market in September... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=456614

Green Glue is highly recommended by several professional Ht designers. I saw a demo here in Atlanta and the sound deadening characterics were phenomenal! It does not do anything for room acoustics other than keep sound from entering through the walls and ceiling. You may still need wall and corner treatments to optimize the room. It's very simple to use between 2 sheets of drywall. I'm going to use it in mine when I'm ready for the drywall phase after the first of the year.

Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: I have no financial or other interest in Green Glue.