38 Years New Blue Note

garymd

I took a chance on an ebay auction for a factory sealed original copy of Lee Morgan's, "The Rumproller." It was relatively cheap for an original. I guess others were skeptical too since I won the auction.

It came today and I just opened it to find those beautiful ears stamped in the dead wax along with the Van Gelder stamp. I just gave it a ridiculously thorough cleaning and side one is now playing. Sounds like new.9.gif

BTW Allan - It's a stereo copy (I already have a mono) and your LP also arrived today. Thanks!

Isn't that the BEST! I have come across quite a few sealed records over the years--most recently a Stereo copy of Hampton Hawes' "Green Leaves of Summer" on Contemporary. But the two best "finds" ever were a "baggie" sealed mint mono 6-eye first pressing of "Kind of Blue." I sold it to a guy I know in Japan for $300 TEN YEARS AGO without ever opening it--I sure wish I had waited for EBAY--I'll bet it would bring close to a grand!! The second was a sealed orginal black label copy of "Way Out West" on "Stereo Records"(a short lived sub-label of Contemporary). I still have that one--cracked that baby open on day one and have been enjoying it since.

The only sealed "original" Blue Notes I have come across are pretty lame-- "The Golden Eight" by the Clarke/Boland big band (not a great record even though it seems to sell for high $) and "The Tokyo Blues" from Horace Silver. All the other sealed Blue Notes I've some across were Libertys.

NICE SCORE on a GREAT record!!!!

Congrats Gary. Ebay sometimes is a crap shoot. I spend more time there then I should. I just recently won a sealed copy of Horace Silver - Silver and Percussion '78 blue Note. Never heard it before, can't wait to give it a listen.

Right now I'm listening to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers "Live at Kimball's" which I got off ebay a a week or two ago. If you don't already have it, pick it up, it's worth having. I think I got it for about $6. Seems well recorded and the vinyl is clean sounding. A concord Jazz release.

- Tim