Disk protection question

maxg

When I backed up my CD collection to MP3 I did it for all my SACD's that were dual layer as well.

The 2 dual layer (3 layer?)disks I bought yesterday wont read in my computer DVD drive. Protection at play? Or it is because they have SACD MC and stereo layers plus a CD layer that the computer gets confused?

The funny thing is it sees the disk is a music disk but it cant see the tracks in either explorer or Windows media player.

Both disks worked fine at home in both the SACD player and the DVD player.

Max, not to put down MP3 format, but .ogg compression is superior to mp3. I've listened extensively to both, and you will notice an immediate difference.

CDex has a free ripper at:

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

For play back on your PC, use Winamp:

http://www.winamp.com/player/

Try it for yourself, I guarantee you'll hear the difference immediately. I've done the research, and have been there, done that. This is the best compromise IMO. And blows Bill Gates media player away.

Thanks Gilbert but I am saddled with MP3 as I am more interested in compatibility than anything else. I want a format that will play on everything and MP3 is the only one that does. At 256 Kb it is not bad - just takes up more space than than, say, a Windows Media file, for example.

Dont suppose you could answer the copy protection thing could you. Someting very strange going on - I can see why they would block it - it is not like I could copy the SACD material anyway.

Hmmm.

Tried it on another computer - in a CD writer drive and it works fine.

This machine also has a DVD drive on it so I will try that next - just to see. Maybe a problem with the DVD writer on that machine....

Anyway at least we know there is no security issues in play.

Gilbert,

I am talking about purchased SACD disks - sorry if that was not clear.

Trying to play the CD layer on one of these disks does not appear to work in DVD players/writers but works fine in CD players/writers. I have now tried 3 DVD computer drives and 2 CD drives.

Something on the SACD is fooling the DVD player into thinking it is just a corrupted DVD. A CD player only see the CD layer - hence - no problem.

Another new one on me too...