info on my cornwalls??

joessportster

hello all im new so be easy with my ignorance i recently purchaased a set of klipsch cornwalls, (my first klipsch speakers)and would like to get more information on them the serial#'s are 13r336 and 13r337, type C W B, i would really like to know the year produced and the cabinet materials i also found i was mislead a little and found one of the woofers is a generic replacement and i would love to find an original type replacement if anyone has one all help appreciated thanks joe

Joe, Welcome to the Forum. R = 1977 and it looks like the letters CWB stand for Cornwall Walnut Black. tell us what is says on the woofer, probably a K-33E. if i am wrong someone will correct me. forum member BEC bob crites is selling new K-33E woofers on ebay for 129.00

hello the original woofer is a square magnet k33, the other is not even a klipsch woofer it is an off brand sounds decent but im kinda anal about my gear and want all original there is a guy on ebay selling the remains of a set of k-horns, and he has the woofers with the square magnets but i cant tell if they are k-33 pics are to fuzzy , is the k-33 the only woofer they used. thanks for the response at least i have the year and to my limited knowledge these ar cornwall 1 when you say built in 1977. and they are black lacquer i bought them with the understanding they were cornwall 2, of course im happy they are 1's the older the better for me thanks again Joe

CONGRATS on your Mighty Cornwalls Joe! Yes, around here the the bigger and older they are the more we love them. K33E is your woofer number. If you have the original basket and magnet assy, just an off-brand recone job, you may be okay for now. Or you could have it reconed back to spec for about 1/2 the cost of new. Bob Crites (BEC) is the man to contact. He's on the Updates Forum a lot, just find him in a thread, click on his avatar (lil photo) and you can send him Klipsch Msg or Email. It's a pretty simple matter to get inside most Cornwalls if yours has the removable back. While inside, just check the condition of wiring, esp around xover and whether mid horn is metal or plastic. More on this later. Theres a thread from last year about Cornwall Modifications that you can read, but it might blow your mind right now.

Theres a few modifications some people are making to their Cornwalls, but for now, I'd just sit back and listen. You're quite correct in getting them back into 'matching' shape and it's pretty common to need to make a fix or two while you're at it. My pair had been blown out, then survived a house fire while stored in a closet. But they were $300.

I'm trying to keep tabs on avg selling prices and condition, so if you wouldn't mind... or email me and I'll keep it confidential. I think we usually see Corns going for 500-1000 per pair depending on age, condition, and finish. Your black pair may not be the most popular finish in terms of value, but whether they work in your environment is your main concern.

Welcome to the club, start saving your nickels, this is going to get expensive LOL. Have fun with the equipment, but stay for the music.

Michael

----------------

On 12/4/2004 8:16:49 AM joessportster wrote:

hello the original woofer is a square magnet k33, the other is not even a klipsch woofer it is an off brand sounds decent but im kinda anal about my gear and want all original there is a guy on ebay selling the remains of a set of k-horns, and he has the woofers with the square magnets but i cant tell if they are k-33 pics are to fuzzy , is the k-33 the only woofer they used.....

Joe

----------------

To answer the questions you ask:

In 1977 the square K-33 is the correct woofer and is for about the years 1967 to 1983. In 1977 it was a K33E I believe. Ask eBay sellers any question you have, if in doubt ask for a picture(s).

The CWB indicates these have a walnut veneer, but there was a flaw in it so they were painted black (or possibile the original buyer may have ordered them black, but unlikely in 1977)

If you have other questions let me know.