choice of new speakers ... klipsch ???

Duke Spinner

spec's don't tell the whole story ... i am waaaay out in the country, so i can't audition much, except BestBuy kinda crap ..

KLF 30 Vs. RF 7 Vs. Cornwall Vs Chorus 2

these are what i am considering

on the surface, the 30 Vs Cornwall Vs. Chorus ...seem similar

same mid/ high set up

i have the impression i would like the big horn on the 7's

i listen to progressive blues/jazz/rock ..ala robben ford, derek trucks, deep banana blackout

i use a dbx 120 ds .. see profile ...

what can you tell me ???? .... i have forte 2's , altec valencia's by the way. .... i'm already a horn speaker kinda guy

kind of like different flavors of ice cream

I do not dislike any of the models listed.

of course impossible to do a side by side on all of them.

Your variables

-budget

-speaker width prefferrred

-cabinet finnish

I think the passive radiator has faster bass in the Chorus II.

RF-7 is more forgiving with SS amplification.

KLF has been said to need some additional cabinet bracing and glue to reduce cabinet resonances; I have heard a few have had to be reglued.

Tough question you ask. Do you do much HT listening or would this be mainly music system? How big is your room? Normal listening volume- can you talk over it or do you rock out? What is your favorite instrument (do you listen more for bass registers or mids/highs?).

In my experience, the Ref series is more linear, more crisp, still with good lows in the larger of the series or with a sub. Highly critical of amp type because they show every nuance/fault in program material and equipment.

Cornwall (which I own and love) already have beautiful 15", ports and BIG BOX. Pretty darned awesome on their own. More forgiving of amp type, I use top line Yamaha HT receiver and am way happy. Huge bass and smooth mids and highs, just not a crisp as Reference.

No experience with KLF, but with carbon woofer, probably in between the above two. Heritage= paper cones, K= carbon, Reference= ceremetallic. They keep getting lighter, tighter, and more linear, but the Cornwall is by no means sloppy bass. Still tight and punchy.

Then you get into cabinet sizes, new vs used, finishes, wife acceptance factor, etc. Whole nother ballgame.

Michael

IMHO, horn 'size' is not an issue. Driver/voice coil size is a power handling thing, but only at concert volumes. Horn shape will define the dispersion pattern, wide or narrow, but most all Klipsch are fairly similar and great for home environments. Horn design varies from exponential to the Tractrix, kind of a constant directivity design if I understand correctly, and may have less 'beaminess', that is the tendency for older style horns to drop the higher frequencies as one approaches the fringes of its dispersion pattern. This is why most Cornwall users toe the speaker in slightly toward the listening position. So none of these are huge issues. Your Forte horns are probably closest matched to those of the Cornwall.

I'd say the 'voicing' of the horn and crossovers is probably what you're hearing. That gets much more subjective and can only be decided upon by listening tests. So meet some Forum members, get into the BIG CITY, and give some systems a go. You've got a pretty sweet balanced set with your Forte's. Any of your listed choices will be a step up in bass output, but not a massive change in sound, other than perhaps the Reference series.

Question- in what way are your Forte's considered insufficient for your evolving listening needs?

Hope all this helps

Michael

----------------

On 12/4/2004 12:18:03 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

as all the others seem limited by the small mid horn

----------------

i like the Fort's ..great detail ! ..but ... i guess having owned the Valencia's for sooo very long ... i have been accustomed to the output of the 2" 808 horn driver

Impact ! ... the pop of the snare, drumstick on the rim , slap of the head on the kick drum ...literally explode outta the big altec horn

the small Klipsch horn just don't git this....

the Valencia's are not something i can just move from living room, to basement studio everytime i would like to use them .. 130 # each ..14.gif

more info, MCoulter

no H.T. use, all music, 80 % probably live recordings .....

bass, really isn't an issue

level, probably an average 105, 110 dB

i play some instruments, do some mixdown work for both rock and jazz performers ( Daffodil Records), when i was younger i did a lot of sound reinforcement

my point ?? well i can't hear ..2.gif ...and i am probably not listening for the kind of "accurate" presentation that say, a classical listener might want ....

I'm a Heritage junky, of the models you mentioned Fbird'69, I would opt for the Cornwalls. Since none of the models you cite have a horn loaded bottom end, none will have the speed of bass of a Khorn or LaScala, however the Corn will have more bass than the Scala. They will also slam with that rim shot with the 600Hz horn.

After purchase I would rope caulk or dynamat the horns and K-33 basket and upgrade the xover.

That's my $.02.1.gif

Rick

Of the candidates you mention and your preferences, I'd guess that Cornwall would be most to your liking.

Beyond that, being a fan of Altec horns, you would really enjoy Khorns. When you are in the price territory of RF 7's you're also in the price range of some very nice used Khorns.

Had Carver, had super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers

Since you have altec valencia's, why NOT use those, if you liket he sound of big ole horns, you will love Corns, or better yet LaScala or better yet belles, or better yet classic Klipsch corner Khorns

2.gif

Had Carver, had super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers

Since you have altec valencia's, why NOT use those, if you liket he sound of big ole horns, you will love Corns, or better yet LaScala or better yet belles, or better yet classic Klipsch corner Khorns

Specs do NOT tell the story, except look at the incredible sensitivity of big ole horns! That tells a large part of the story.2.gif