Inadequate sound from HT System or Setup...

Somperson

Help!?!?... I guess it has been about a month or so since I have had my home theater setup. Although it isn't the best I was expecting a little better performance from the setup. Without further delay my setup: Harman Kardon AVR-110 with the Klipsch Quintet fronts, center, rears. Without a doubt I love the Klipsch speakers during DD & DTS movies, but whenever I turn pro-logic mode on when watching normal programming, barely anything comes out of the Right & Left speakers, let alone nothing from the rears. It seems the only thing playing is the center. I understand that normal broadcasts aren't always encoded in Dolby Prologic, but not even much above a slight whisper comes of anything but the center when playing a movie from HBO/Cinemax/Showtime. To me something seems to be wrong. I bought the HK receiver specifically for the ability to recreate good sound from a 2ch source. I am running just high bandwidth Monster cables from the Satellite Dish to the receiver. So if please ask any questions about the setup. The receiver is properly set and it doesn't seem to be a minor detail such as me not having any rear speakers selected in the Prologic mode.

Also I was looking at getting a new Sat. dish because this RCA (forget which model) which is 4 yrs old, seems to be going bad. Shows distorted lettering in menus and the remote is going bad and I'm also looking at getting optical out from the dish. They seem to be dropping in price. I would love recommendations and great prices if anyone else has any especially names to look at because I bought a Sony Sat. receiver for my bedroom and I am very disappointed with the menus and the picture. Its worse than the 4-yr old RCA we have downstairs.

Thanks a lot for your help, one of the most influential and helpful forums I have ever been apart of. Ask any questions at all cause i will stay postedcwm41.gif!!!

Jason

Jason - I have the same thing happen on my Denon 3300. It's not your receiver. Standard TV broadcasts (not coded in Dolby Stereo and received in stereo by your VCR and passed to your receiver for decoding -- and I assume you have your TV signal going through something that can receive in stereo), when played through your receiver in Dolby Pro mode, are not going to produce anything out of the front or rear speakers, I don't believe. You might try just using stereo mode on your receiver -- at least that way you'll get the sound of the front speakers (but not the center speaker). You could also try Pro Logic in phantom mode, I think, which would create an artificial center speaker by running the signal through your mains.

DD

Well, I have the Directv analog ouputs going directly to the receiver, nothing between the two. The speakers all play, but definately not like they should, or in which Dolby Labs claim they should. I mean just tonight I watched Die Hard on the FX network, and I'm almost positive they broadcast In dolby surround, and yet again i didn't hear a whisper form the rears and barely anything from the fronts, just mostly center, which still sounds better then the junky sony tv-speakers, but not what dolby is claiming. Now I am wondering if it might be the old Dish I have, but yet should still be Pro-logic compatable. Unfortanltly I don't have a phantom mode, just 3ch and Prologic. I do have Logic7 which is 5.1 reproduction from a 2ch source but yet that still doesn't play much at all...

Otherwise I don't have a clue...

Jason

get a dbs reciever w/ an optical digital out. that way

w/ broadcasters like hbo, showtime, starz, ppv u get a digital feed to your a/v receiver's decoder. all their

movies seem to be broadcast in at least dolby surround & more & more are in dolby digital 5.1.

think the rca box f.e. is around $200. contact your sat. person.

Check out the NEW Dish Network PVR with the new 501 receiver.Has DD output and the 35 hour harddisk recorder.The new 301 receiver does not have digital out

per the dude I talked to at Dish.Just a thought.Good luck.

Keith

Jason - Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not a cable/satellite user. Are the analog audio outputs from your DirectTV in STEREO, a left/right audio channel? If so, then it's fine to hook them right up to the receiver left/right audio inputs, and there must be something else going wrong.

DD

DD,

I have stereo out from the dish and using the left and right analog channels directly into the Harman Kardon receiver. I personally cannot think of anything that could be limitling me from only hearing the center channel. I have a cheapo Aiwa that has 5 crumy speakers and Dolby Prologic and it plays all the speakers from the Sat. Dish and from the PS2 all from highbandwith analog cables. I really ran out of solutions and I am hoping you guys on the board can think of some ideas. Otherwise I'm going to try to get to Harman Kardon support and see what they say. Anyone else have ideas please lemme know. And also with the Directv receivers (Sorry Keith but Directv is the way to go) Which brand seems to be the best. I like the RCA, and I now hear the Hughes brand is really good for their prices, and I am very disappointed with the two sony models (SAT-B/Axx). I would not recommend them to anyone unless they find a real deal on them..

Thanks again,

Jason