Heresy's on Ebay

BBrown

Hello All, newbie here, I am looking at a pair of speakers on Ebay called TH-SR IIs, the person selling them states that they are just like the Heresy's but without the H/F driver and crossover portion for the tweeter, is this true? I am wanting a pair of Heresys and if I can upgrade these, it may be a good deal. Any thoughts? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3284&item=5736115330&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum. These are interesting looking "Heresy's" I've seen them before on Ebay. You are right that by adding a tweeter and making the appropriate changes to the crossover they could be modified into real Heresy's.

Just a couple of thoughts here, the point at which that would be attractive to you is subjective, depending mostly on the price and how handy you are at doing the mods. I think you can find competent and willing support on this forum to make sure it gets done right. One thing I've learned though, Ebay has such a large audience that gear often sells for more than it is really worth, IMO. and it is very easy for the cost of parts, shipping, time, head aches, and sweat equity to quickly add up to be more costly than buying what you want in the first place. I wouldn't take the sellers word for it that the tweeters can be had for the price he mentions. Just don't know, though these parts also pass through Ebay at less than they'd cost new.

have fun on this adventure.

Straight from Klipsch support when I asked about their similarities and differences.

The TH-SR2 was essentially a Heresy I or II depending on the year, that did not have a tweeter. If the drivers in the cabinet are mounted like

your H II's, the specs would be the same without much output above 7,000 Hz. They were built before full range Dolby Digital was out, back in the Prologic days and the specs on out put from the surround channels was about 80 to 7k. There should be a cut out line where the tweeter would go, but I cannot recall if the crossover is set up for the tweeter. If you want to make this a full range Heresy and it is the II, you would need the tweeter and more than likely the H II crossover network as well. I do not have spec documentation on either the H I or H II TH-SR series. I have checked with Hope as well

Somebody is going to be very disappointed when they try to buy those tweeters from Klipsch for $70/pair. IIRC, Klipsch charges more like $270 apiece for those things. You couldn't get two used ones for $70, lucky to buy one used for $70. Unless those go for very cheap and are close enough to pick up you'd be better off just going for regular Heresy's, IMHO.