expanding to 4 speakers

chompiedeans

Hi Folks. I need some help to know if what I want to do is possible. Have an older (approx 10 years) rack/component system I really like. It puts out 100 watts per channel and has a 5 band graphic equalizer, but only outputs for 2 speakers. The amp/equalizer,receiver and dual casette deck are all fused together. 5 disc cd player is separate. I love the system and the speakers, but they are both rather large and my wife wants me to move them out of the living room/dining room area because they take up too much space. There is room in our den but then you won't really get to hear the stereo in the lving room/dining room. However, whoever lived here before drilled holes in the floor to run speaker wires from the den to the living room. I've found some really nice Klipsch bookshelf speakers I'd like to buy, but my system only has outputs for two speakers. Is there any device/adapter or anyway I can add the two bookshelf speakers to my current system? Or am I hosed and I have to buy another system?

Frustrated In Pittsburgh

Ok, so you are going to add two more speakers to your system. Will you be keeping your original speakers as well? Do you plan on playing both sets of speakers at different times or at the same time or both?

If you want both speakers to always play at the same time, then you can just connect the second pair in parallel with your original speakers.

If you want only one set of speakers to play at a time, then you could go with a Radio Shack speaker selector. It can be purchased at Radio Shack for $20.

If you want the option of playing both at the same time or only just one pair at a time, then as far as I know you'll have to custom build a box to do this...perhaps modify the radio shack speaker selector.

----------------

On 12/7/2004 1:10:11 PM DrWho wrote:

If you want both speakers to always play at the same time, then you can just connect the second pair in parallel with your original speakers.

----------------

Hi, I would not recommend this, unless the amp is capable of running low impedence loads. All those components got "fused together" somehow's. 2.gif

However, the speaker selector switch is a gooder idea.

Another thing could be an impedence matching volume control available through Parts express.

Welcome to Jamaica, have a nice day.

----------------

On 12/6/2004 9:31:01 PM chompiedeans wrote:

........The amp/equalizer,receiver and dual casette deck are all fused together.....

----------------

what is the brand of this "fused together" system?

i have a feeling that the best thing you could do is go out and get some good components..... the only systems that i have ever seen that are "fused together" are low end entry level almost boom box style equipment.....