LP errors vs. CD errors

Parrot

----------------

On 12/9/2004 4:50:55 AM maxg wrote:

Everyone is kinda free to go their own way with music reproduction - and there are less limits now on what can be done than there have ever been before. From mono to multi, analogue to digital, SS to tube, vinyl to MP3 - whatever it takes to get you there....

----------------

No matter what your poison is now, there's a drink there for you. It wasn't like that when I first started in hi-fi back in the late 70's. Somehow though, vinyl sounds better to me now than when I first started. Maybe it's just the nostalgia corrupting my good judgement.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Maybe it's just the nostalgia corrupting my good judgement."

This is a perceptive comment, I think! It might not necessarily be a 'corruption,' per se' but I for one know I am attracted to technology that by many is considered to be very much out-dated. I like old things -- clocks, wooden-chassis tube radios, early horn speakers. I enjoy them very much in fact, and our house has chimes going off all over the place every hour and half-hour. that alone is probably a more significant source of noise pollution than the ticks and pops on many of my records!

I've thought about my interest in tube amplifiers, and must admit there may be more to what I like about them than the way they sound. There is something captivating about tubes glowing in the dark. It never fails to launch me back to the campfires we used to huddle around on cold dark nights in the desert. I grew up in the Middle East, where my dad worked for an American Oil company. Virtually every vacation was spent traveling in remote desert wilderness, and I can't help but think that the glow of firelight at night must have some small thing to do with the way the warm, orange light of glowing vacuum tubes almost 'demands' a sort of open-eyed attention. There is a word of ancient Greek origin -- 'foci,' if I remember correctly (the ancestor of our English and Latin 'focus') that refers to cooking hearth or center of attention. Fire's heat, warmth, and light has been a part of our existence for many thousands of years, and maybe there is just a chance that our cherished little bottles of fire bring more to the enjoyment and ceremony of listening than sound alone.