Heresy II Problem/Question

soulpianoman

Greetings and salutations - first time post,

I have a problem with a pair of Heresy II's made in 1985. As a pair they sound pretty darn good, but upon critical listening I have discovered that my right speaker's tweeter is barely tweeting. I swapped tweeters with the other speaker and no change - works fine in the other one (I thought maybe the tweeter was bad, but apparently not...). I don't know if the horn and woofer are affected too (seems like just the tweeter but not sure). Overall this right speaker has much less clarity and just does not sound as good as the other one.

Any ideas what I should look into or what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help

Ted

if that tweeter works fine in the other cabinet, could be connections at the crossover, be careful to note where the wire is hooked up if you remove it. Could also be at receiver, swap leads there to eliminate it as the cause of the untweeter.

Best luck and welcome aboard. You've come to the right place.

Michael

The crossover for the HII can be removed from the back of the speaker. Carefully remove the screws, I think you may have a cold solder joint for the capacitor in the tweeter circuit. Should be an easy fix.

You have already done the correct troubleshooting by trying the suspect tweeter in the other speaker and it performed correctly, so onto the wiring and crossover.

Thank you kindly, I'll try these next steps. Another quick question related to this: I noticed when I removed the untweeter that the connection was different than on the working tweeter - black wire was to positive, green wire was to negative - it was opposite on the working tweeter - should these connections be opposite or should they be the same? I tried switching the wires (perhaps stupidly) and it made no sonic difference, so I'll move on to the steps outlined above, but wanted to know what the correct wiring for the tweeter is anyway.

They should be the same on both speakers, so one tweeter may have been out of phase. Connect the leads identical to the other speaker, the colors should not vary.

It being out of phase may have damaged it, but put it in phase and listen first. If you still have dimished output, check the crossover for loose wires or components. If everything is in order you may have to replace the diaphram in that tweeter which is about a $25 fix with shipping.

OK, after taking this speaker apart, checking all the connections etc. (which all seemed fine), I discovered that one of the orange capacitors is exploded - specifically the one that is directly next to the big blue capacitor. It is marked T1 1.5J 250V - Can anyone tell me what the microfarad rating is on this and where to get this cap? Also does it make sense to take this oppurtunity to upgrade to different caps and if so any recommendations? Finally, is this exploded cap the cause of the orinal problem? (The sound of this speaker was just plain not as clear/responsive as the other one and the tweeter was very faint.) Thanks so much.

Pianoman, contact DeanG he can get you the caps that you need cheaper than Parts Express sells them for if I am not mistaken. The 200V vs. 250V rating should be fine I would think. In the event that you need a HII schematic I have posted one for you. Upgrading the caps in there will yield very favorable improvements.

Thank you a lot for the help guys. Frzninvt, I really appreciate the schematic. I assume I would replace all 3 of the caps in each speaker network for a total of six - is this right? I also noticed on the schematic you posted, they were listed at 1.5uf rather than 2.0uf, should I be using the 2.0uf replacements? Sorry for the zillion questions - I am brand new to this.

Soulpianoman:

Your biggest challenge will be to "fit" better caps onto the existing board, since aftermarket quality caps are typically much larger than stock units. Dean G. comes highly recommended as a resource should you not desire to do it yourself.

Popbumper