making use of old and new equipment

BillH2121

I just entered the arena of HT with the recent purchase of Denon AVR 1705 and RF15, RFC25, RFS25, and RW10. I initially thought that I would use this set-up for only TV and DVD watching and continue to listen to music on my 30-year old McIntosh 2105, C-36, and McIntosh XR-5 sperakers. HOWEVER, the more I listen to music on the Klipsch and Denon combo, the more I like it. Is there a way to combine the Denon/Klipsch and the McIntosh equipment (could I make the system better?) or should I keep them separated. THe Klipsch are in my living room, the Mac stuff is in another room. Thanks for any ideas.

Bill H

I did the same thing a few years back. When I got into HT, I knew I would only be happy using my existing vintage equipment.

Take a look at my system. I use a C36 for 2CH and a Lex MC-1 for HT all driving vintage MC amps and Heritage speakers.

I should update some of these pics!! The NAD's are out of the rack.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=50440

JM

Thanks for the responses - I guess I'll start working to integrate the systems into one. Do the Mac XR-5s get left out?? When I bought those at $1,000 a pair 30 years ago, I couldn't imagine I would ever want another set of speakers - I guess technology left me behind many years back! Thanks again, I'm anxious to hear the Klipsch's driven by the MAC.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 10:22:36 AM Frzninvt wrote:

You could use the Mac 2105 to run your main speakers from the outputs on your Denon receiver to give them more punch and better dynamics. You will notice a significant improvement.

----------------

I am in the same position. I am running my HT setup from a Marantz

SR 6300 and my 2 channel Forte with an H/K 430. Are you saying I could hook up the HK to the Marantz somehow and drive only the Fortes with the HK and the remainder of the gear with the Marantz ?

How would I do that? Thanks for any help.

Bob

Sorry for another beginner's question - when you all refer to "mains" in an HT system are you including center speaker and sub? If not the sub, wouldn't the RF15s be a little thin on the low end? When hooked up as you describe with the MAC 2105, will I be using the Denon as a preamp or do I need to still use the C-36 somehow? Thanks for your help

First, to answer your previous question about leaving the Mac XR-5s out. Unfortunatly, yes. Not because of the sound quality, as I am certain they are good sounding speakers, but because they would not sonically match that of theh Klipsch. In an HT setup, idealy, you want all of your speakers to soncically/timber match, thus giving you a seamless sound field. To acheive that matching, it is often rcommended to stay within the same brand and line of speaker - i.e. Klipsch reference to Klipsch reference.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 10:26:31 AM BillH2121 wrote:

Sorry for another beginner's question - when you all refer to "mains" in an HT system are you including center speaker and sub? If not the sub, wouldn't the RF15s be a little thin on the low end?

----------------

When somebody refers to thier "mains', that is often the front left and right speaker, which are usually the largest/best speakers in the setup. That is an offshoot when Two-channel setups where starting to be integrated into surround sound systems. At the time, most of the material did come from those two speakers, as well as those two speakers were still used for two-channel/stereo listening.

Even with the smaller sat/sub setups, the front left/right is still often considered the "mains". Yes, you will still want a sub to fill in the low-end, but it is often not consider the "main" speakers. Neither is the center.

I guess the easiest way to remember is which two speakers would you want to listen to your two-channel material on? Those would be the ones you'd want for your mains.

----------------

When hooked up as you describe with the MAC 2105, will I be using the Denon as a preamp or do I need to still use the C-36 somehow? Thanks for your help

----------------

On the back of the Denon, there should be a set of pre-outs. You would run a cable from the front left and front right pre-out into your MAC 2105 amp. You would then hook up your Mac to your front left and right speaker. The rest of the speakers would be hooked up to the amp section of the Denon. So, yes, you would use your Denon as the pre-amp.

There is no need for the C-36, but if you really like the sound of it, it may be possible to rig up some kind of way to switch between the Denon and C-36, thus if you want to listen to two-channel sources, switch to the C-36, and for movies and other surround-sound source, switch to the Denon. This may be a complex thing to do for somebody just starting out in HT, but something to consider once you get more experience with tinkinring with HT setup.

And of course, there does not seem to be anything wrong with your existing Mac setup as a two-channel setup. Perhaps keep it together as seperate two-channel rig to use as a second system around the house.