Will Cornwall I's Match Sound With Cornwall II's in a HT Set Up??

cob1708

I have a set of Cornwall I's, a set of Cornwall II's, and a set of Khorns. I have the Cornwall II's sold unless I change my mind...I want to make sure I check out all my options first The question is...If I do not like the sound of the Academy as a center channel speaker with the Khorns I am thinking of using the Khorns for 2 channel listening only. Would the Academy match better with the Cornwall II? Would the Cornwall I match the Cornwall II's if I use the II's as the front speaker and the I's for the rear surround speaker? I think I just confused myself??? ie:

HT not yet put together but all the speakers and Audio equipment are now purchased and in my home.

Option A set up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Khorns Academy Khorns

Cornwall I Cornwall I

Option B---------------------------------------------------------------------

Cornwall II Academy Cornwall II

Cornwall I Cornwall I

As mentioned I am going for the best match for the center and front speakers. I have two options as far as speakers are concerned. I tried looking up past threads but I'm on my sons computer and it is about as fast as a turtle with a broken leg. I do mean slow!!!!

So I am asking the question again to get various responses. Space for the center channel is restricted...(My wife does not want a big center speaker up front) sooooooooo.

Hello again,

welcome to the confusing world of Klipsch. I won't detail here, but check thread under Tech about B3 and K55 also BEC's thread on Speaker test Box. Until you open em up, you can't be sure what component mix you have in your Cornwalls.

Could be metal or plastic mid horn

Could be K55 or K57 driver (3 dB difference)

Could be B2 or B3 or other newer xover.

And there's lots of mods that can or might have been made....

So 'matching' wise, it's anyones game. One thing for sure, A Cornwall will probably match another Cornwall better than anything else. But I doubt if you want to get rid of your Khorns if you have a room that will acoustically support and house them. Unless you go to a Cornwall, LS or Belle centre, the Academy is a good bet for now. The Corns would certainly be a killer surround speaker to your Khorns. Most settle for Heresy if trying to stay in the Heritage line. Is there a Sub in this system? I know guys with two Khorns and believe me you can still feel the kick when the RSW15 boots you in the gut! So that's a vote for OPTION A/1 with Khorns.

Is there one set of Corns that is in better shape, means more to you, sounds better, or who's veneer matches your Khorns or decor better? I'd keep THAT pair and sell the other to me! I think we spoke once, but didn't complete deal. Do you have a solid buyer for your Corns? If not please Msg or Email.

Thanks and have fun with it. It's about the sound, not the equipment. Something I'm trying to remember.

Michael in Indy

Greetings colterphoto1

In my post I mentioned that...(I have the Cornwall II's sold unless I change my mind...)You are the one that will get these if I decide to sell. I still want to check out all my options before I pull the trigger and sell these (to you). I will keep the Khorns regardless of what decision I make. My basement (HT Room) will be a fine area for a 2 channel Khorn system if I do not use the Khorns in the HT set up. I already bought the DeanG mods for the Khorns. I will install during the holidays. (I hope)

I remember reading a lot about the pros and cons of the Academy as it relates to various speakers so I need to see which set of speakers (Cornwalls or Khorns) will sound best with the Academy center speaker. Some say the Timbre is a mismatch while others says it sounds great together. Yet others say the Academy cannot keep up with the Khorns or Cornwalls? Whatever that means?

As you can see I have various options and want to get input from you all. And YES...I will try the Academy with both sets of speakers but I need to know what to look/listen to so I can make an educated decision to which is a better match. Maybe I will not be able to hear much difference between the Khorns and Cornwalls as used in a HT system.

Sub...Oh yes...I have a SVS PB 12 Ultra/2...I will pick it up in person in a couple weeks. So much for a budget system??

I hope to be moving into my new house next weekend so guess what I will be during the Christmas season???

As I mentioned I hope to "rock the socks" off the youth!

My system is made up of the following:

Halo C1 and A52 Amp

Denon 3910

SVS Subs

Academy

Cornwalls's I and II's

Khorn

So much for a low budget entry system???9.gif

cob1708:

I don't have the knowledge to provide advice, but you've got some great equipment. Sounds like a good problem to have.

I'm about to set up a system. From the threads and articles that i've read, it seems like buying on of the sound level meters and playing with your setup (speaker positioning and output out of your receiver to each speaker) is a large part of the answer. my 2 cents.

good luck!

The Academy is a HIGHLY sought after center channel speaker because it melds so well with so many main/surround speakers timbre-wise. Being a carbon graphite woofer cone, in terms of stiffness and linearity it is somewhere between the Heritage and Reference line. The Academy is fairly efficient for a smaller speaker cabinet, so it can 'keep up' with most other Klipsch cabinets (this is a layman's term for efficiency). At the very worst, you'll need to crank the center output maybe 3-5 dB (hey it's middle of night, I didn't look it up) or reduce the feed to the Khorns or Corns.

Of course, the ideal would be a center LS, Corn, or BELLE KLIPSCH (this is your Holy Grail). But the Academy is a GREAT center, I've seen em go for like $8 bills!

Have you decided which pair of Corns to keep and which to sell? Review my prior post for possible reasons for the decision.

Keep kicking the tunes, my bro!

Michael (happy to be in a non-Ebay line)

The Cornwall I's and Cornwall II's sound very similar, the II's are a bit more efficient and more detailed sounding, to my ears the K-79K and K-57K are smoother than the K-55V/K-77M combination. The usable range on the II's goes solidly to 20Khz. Using them as rears or fronts with another pair of Cornwalls I don't think you would discern a difference other than the efficiency thing that could be adjusted on the preamp. Lets face it they both sound good, real good. My only complaint with the II's is the cabinet has no insulation of any kind and is really hollow sounding if you knock on the cabinet with your knuckles. They really need some acoustic panels applied inside to smooth and improve the bass response some. The crossover network is real cheesey as well, it looks cobbed together compared to all the previous networks used in Cornwalls. Despite these gripes of mine they still sound very good!

I would obviously prefer the Khorn's as mains and Corns in the rear. To me the Cornwall sounds closer to the Khorn than the La Scala or Belle does. When I initially changed from La Scala to Cornwall rears it was more seamless because the Cornwall's bass response was closest to the Khorn's even though it is not horn loaded.

The Academy is a tremendous center and the dialogue that it reproduces is top notch! I picked up one a few months ago and man was I impressed no wonder people are willing to shell out the bucks for them. Ideally though if you could squeeze a Cornwall or La Scala in-between those Khorns it would be the cats meow.

Good luck with your quest, what a fun dilemma to be in right? When I added Khorn's to the rear and my '62 Cornwalls as rear effects it brought my HT to a whole new level!

colterphoto1

If I decide to sell one set of the Cornwalls...I'm leaning towards the II's. I plan on having new Dean G mods made for the Cornwalls that I keep. As mentioned if I do sale a pair I will deliver to you for no cost...I try to do one good deed a month? HeHeHe < :> ) <<<

My system is made up of the following:

Halo C1 and A52 Amp

Denon 3910

SVS Subs

Academy

Cornwalls's I and II's

Khorn

65" Mit TV

I forgot...my TV is a 65" Mit Rear Projection ($1800 new). I was running out of money (I wonder why?). When it came to the new HT system...I spent most of my cash on the electronics and speakers. Also I'm not concerned about the absolute perfect HT system as I am putting this together for the Youth Ministry and I would assume they would notice any minor Timbre mis-match...including myself. But I do want to get it as close as possible. I thought the Academy would look better and possibly sound better than a Hersey.

I did buy the Sound Meter and the Disc (?)that goes with adjuting the HT system from SVS when I bought the SVS Sub.

Again guys...Thanks a lot for your input. This is a great board for asking questions and getting educated on these fine speakers along with the assiciated audio equipment.9.gif

"I have a set of Cornwall I's, a set of Cornwall II's, and a set of Khorns" Braggart!2.gif

Michael is going to hate me but..

I would do this:

KHORN Academy sub KHORN

CW1 CW1

CWII CWII

for a 7.1 just get another 2 channel amp. Really a Vert CW for a center in the above would be much better than the Academy, it is more a match for Forte's and Chorus'...

You're right, I hate you. That would be the THIRD set of Corns on this Forum that I had dibs on and lost. The first two pair were verticals as well. One of those pair was in Indy. ARRRRGGGHHH

I would argue that the configuration you suggest exceeds the load limit of most residential flooring systems. I don't know that anyone has ever done that with Klipsch speakers before.

Michael

Michael,

Sorry my goal is not to see you miss out. He is a 2-channel amp away from this. So if he is to go 5.1 I would suggest he sell his CW to you but he was also toying with the idea of using his K-Horns for 2 CH and then a 5.1 with the CW's. If he is going 5.1 the I would suggest he anchor it with the K-Horns and fill the CW's and the sell the Academy in search of a Vert CW and sell the CW II's. We all want to see you get what you want here. Its just his Pre/Pro is 7.1 capable and he has enough to fill it, so I would hate to see him miss out as well.

Now for the floor load issue you should see Q-Mans rig. 3 modified Khorns across the front and 2 La Scalas for Front Effects and I believe La Scala Surrounds he uses 10 channels, all Mac powered.

EDIT: And there are 7 sets of CW going on e-bay right now.

Nice setup you have.

If it was me I would:

Khorn Belle Khorn

CW CW

Sub

The above is the system I am going for. I think you will be disappointed with anything less.

There is even talk that a CW is not a good match for Khorns.

Sell the Academy and the other pair of CW's and get a Belle.

Good luck and please let us know the final outcome.

Danny

The reason for the Academy is space consideration. I will try the Academy first and then if needed make future changes. I just picked up my SVS Sub at the factory and the guys were all very helpful and friendly. I was able to save a couple hundred dollars by picking up the Ultra 2 sub vereses having it shipped to my house. Boy...that is one big sub!!! Hopefully I will have the HT system hooked up in time for New Years celebration.9.gif