Heresy update project

jfmacken

I've finally ordered and received some audiocap theta's, and I'm going to throw these puppies in once I decide on rewiring my system or not... they are 30 years old. I somehow doubt that I will hear any changes when switching to new wire. Personally, I havent heard any differences when switching generic and 'monster' speaker wires/rca cables with my stereo before... who knows.

By the way, whats the deal with the horn damping? I'm assuming this helps to minimize horn resonance at high frequencies. Sounds messy!

Yep, I think your instincts are right on rewiring. PWK was a "wire is wire" type. I agree that it would be unlikely to hear a difference with new wire inside. To loosen and tighten the screws holding leads to the crossovers and the connections for drivers (if not soldered) would be the most likely to refresh your speakers.

On damping the horns, it does make a difference on the larger (metal) mid horns in the Heritage line. However, HDBRBuilder says that the length of the K-700 horn in the Heresy makes it unnecessary to dampen. He states that it is short enough that being securely anchored to the motorboard will provide all the damping needed. There are probably some forum members who could chime in on this, pro or con. Damping these horns is most often done by adding something like dynamat sheets or rope caulk. One thing for sure, it can be taken off easily enough if desired.

What crossovers do you have in those Heresys? I just bought a pair of 1971 that had a C network that should have been updated to an E when someone long ago changed the woofer to the 8 ohm woofer from the 16 ohm woofer. I couldn't figure out why they didn't sound that great until I did some investigating and questioning here on the forum.

I updated the caps and rewired the crossovers to the E and they sound awesome now. I haven't done any damping yet, but that dynamat stuff certainly is pretty easy to use.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 10:24:06 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Scott, Did you reverse polarity on the squaker driver to your xovers as mentioned in "The Dope From Hope"?

Rick
----------------

Rick,

Yep, sure did. Saw that little tidbit somewhere in the archives. The C used different taps on the T2A also. Took me a lot of archive searching to get it right!