Alert! Mint HK 930 with only one bid

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this one back up from the bottom. Yes, Paul is right, the 930 has a bit more power than the 730, but, according to HDBR, the tuner in the 930 is what makes it "better."

And I'll agree with Dee, the 730 has an extremely classic look to it. I bought one about 6 months ago, for under $80, and it's in excellent condition. Didn't require the pot cleaning, as there was no scratchiness, but I did it anyways, and cleaned under the hood. I tried it out on my Chorus IIs and it sounded VERY good. I haven't tried it on my K-horns yet.

It went over to my Dad's and he listened to it on his classic Jensens and said he wanted one. So, I jumped back on ebay and found another, not quite in as good condition, for a bit more. He tried it out and now I see/hear what the pot cleaning is for. The tuner knob was especially dirty and made a ton of static while tuning. But with several shots of contact cleaner, it cleaned up pretty well and Dad's happy.

The 430/730 are siblings with the same lines and knobs. There was a parts 430 up on eBay a couple months ago and while it sold, I was able to snag all the knobs and button caps before the seller sent it off. They were dirty, but a little homebrew cleaner shined them up right and it's nice to have a few spares in case a knob breaks.

About the only issue I have with the 430/730 is the spring connectors for speaker cables. You sure can't have very heavy speaker cables and still get them to fit in the little holes. I much prefer the spade connectors on the 930, but it's a minor annoyance. I do like that the 730 can act as a preamp, so I may try that sometime with some outside amps. These are great units. I bought mine mainly as a bedroom system for our daughter. Will hook it up with a set of Heresy's from fellow forum member, and Colorado resident, Jim, and a Denon CD and she'll be good to go. Granted, she's only one, but when she's old enough, she'll be well set in the music department.

I just bought a 930 on ebay a few weeks ago and paid about $90. I've got it on my Cornwalls right now, but I've only listened to one cd, so I can't make a very informed review. One thing I did notice is that the louder I turned it up (within reason) the better the sound quality was. At low volume, when I first tried it, it was muddy, sounded like crap.

Greg

----------------

On 12/22/2004 5:44:55 PM greg928s4 wrote:

One thing I did notice is that the louder I turned it up (within reason) the better the sound quality was. At low volume, when I first tried it, it was muddy, sounded like crap.

Greg

----------------

Yeah, I think that's the old distortion curve rearing its ugly head.

I love my two 430's ... sound good from 50db and up.