Alert! Mint HK 930 with only one bid

Colin

The 70s vintage harmon/kardon 430, 630, 730, and 930 models were twin-powered, with dual transformers. The original line-up consisted of 630 and 930, the 430 and 730 added in 1976 model year, but 630 was dropped at the same time.

With super-sensitive big ole horns, all you need is a handful of quality watts. At lower volumes, the 330s are fine. The twin-powered version dont bog down when playing complex passages at higher volumes...clipping with big ole horns is unlikely, except at LOUD volumes in large rooms.

My 330B is NOT twin powered, however it sounds much better than the few other solid-state receivers I have heard on big ole horns, including the amazing Pass X250.

I have seen only a few HK sales recently on eBay. So far, two 730 models averaged $132, shipping the units often adds $30-45. They may need cleaning and refurbishing, which can add up to $125.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5735957663&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Item number: 5735957663

2.gif

I've got a 330c in the basement. I've never tried it on the khorns. Maybe I should?

I love when sellers put a heavy piece of gear on the floor ...on its face... hold it up with the toe of an old converse sneaker and take a photo of the back side.

6.gif5b_1_b.JPG

It's interesting that the seller advertised it as a tubed unit after opening it up for an interior shot. I suspect he thought the power supply caps were tubes becuase of their shape.

One could make fun of his lack of knowledge but in reality tubes have been out of the mainstream long enough now that there are otherwise reasonably informed adults who have never seen a vacuum tube ( or at least what they realise is a vacuum tube ).Even a television tube is not typically thought of as a vacuum tube by a lot of folks...It's a picture tube or video display.

I have a colleague who is about 40 years of age who was amazed when I told him that I use an essentially new tube amp in my system. He at least knows what tubes are but thought that tubes had gone out of existence many years ago.

Damn those kind of folks make me feel old !

----------------

On 12/9/2004 9:33:39 PM D0N wrote:

I've got a 330c in the basement. I've never tried it on the khorns. Maybe I should?

I love when sellers put a heavy piece of gear on the floor ...on its face... hold it up with the toe of an old converse sneaker and take a photo of the back side.

6.gif"<a
http://i7.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/f6/fa/5b_1_b.JPG" border="0">

----------------

Ohio!? The whole deal is kind of reminiscent of "Wayne's World".

14.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2004 12:53:20 AM arfandbark wrote:

Seeings I bought a 730 recently for $81.00 which is playing classical beautifully in my room as I type I wonder what's to be gained by the 930 (as is)..

Woof.

----------------

You got a good deal on your 730. IMO, you couldn't improve your setup with a 930. The 930 is slightly more powerful, maybe 1db more. Someone else could be more precise, and I'd welcome knowing exactly how much more powerful the 930 is than the 730. 35wpc vs 45 wpc? In addition to that, I also think the cosmetics of the 730 are better than the 930. The 730 has an absolutely classic face. The 930, in adding a couple of unlikely needed controls had to move the tuner knob out of the upper right hand corner toward the middle, changing the lines somewhat. Not as much to my liking, anyway.

---------

Well, looks like there were a number of folks watching the auction. Anyone here score the 930?

Colin, thanks for the heads up.

These HK x30's are absolutely the best bang for the buck to drive Heritage.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/10/2004 9:44:27 AM NOSValves wrote:

MAn I can't believe someone outbid Steve LOL !!!!!!!!

----------------

Only if I really needed it, but, as you know, I gots lots a other toys. heh heh heh2.gif3.gif