Starting up tube amps after storage

v3spitfire

2 years ago I bought a pair of Scott 99ds. Last January we moved and I'm just now getting the room finished where I will have them connected to the Heresy 2's again. I remember reading here (but can't find it now) that when tube amps are in storage a certain process needs to be followed when bring them out. They've been in boxes at room temperature for 12 months. Is this short enough where nothing is necessary or do I need to do something? They were working great when I put them away. They use telefunken input tubes and Sovtek output tubes. Also, the person I bought them from used a 10k resistor on the input cable for a cd player. Is this necessary (he said because the amps weren't designed for 2.2 volts of input)? I've used with and without and couldn't tell a difference, but don't want to burn anything up. Thanks for any help.

You don't need the 10k resistor at all they can handle the 2.5V output of most CD players just fine. As far as firing them up its hard to tell. Not sure if you own a variac ? It surely wouldn't hurt to bring them up slow. But if there going to break down they will do it sooner or later anyway variac or no variac.

Craig

Others will know better.

The electrolydic capacitors in power supplies degrade after long periods on non-use. This is probably a fact.

They manage to have large values because there is a thin plating of insulation on one of the surfaces and evidently this breaks down. But can be maintained or renewed with the application of voltage.

The theory is that if the plating has dissapated, a sudden application of polarizing voltage will kill them. On the other hand, the sitution can be renewed with a gentle ramping up of voltage.

Therefore, people use a variable output transformer (Variac type) to increase the power line voltage gradually.

From what I read, this is not always successful and depends on the nature and extent of the problem.

I've seen at least one comment that ramping up voltage might not help at all. Ones which will fail, will fail under the best of conditions; those which will not, will not fail under the worst of conditions. Perhaps there is are some in between.

Gil