Coltrane SACD Review Help

GRB

I was browsing an online SACD seller and ran across an SACD of John Coltrane and Kenny Burrell. Just wondering if anyone on the forum has heard the album and what their review of it would be. I am by no means a jazz expert, but I do like Coltrane and Burrell and have never seen this album before. Just curious as to anyone else's thoughts on it. Thanks.

Typical Prestige (this one was released on the "New Jazz" sub-label) Blowing session. What made these VERY loose jam sessions so freaking great is level of musicianship and the familiarity amon the players. This one was recorded in 1957 but not released until 1960 after Coltrane had been at Atlantic for a couple of years. Prestige recorded Coltrane so ofter in 1957 and early 1958 that they kept releasing "new" albums until 1963! If you like this one, check out some of the other other all-star jams-- "The Cats" with Coltrane, Burell and Tommy Flanagan and also the Red Garland led "All Moning Long" and "Soul Junction." Loose, relaxed blowing sessions with great solos from ALL.

What these Prestige sessions lack when compared with the Blue Note dates of the same era is the razor-sharp ensemble blowing and cohesiveness--and that's because Lion and Wolff would PAY the musicians to rehearse for a couple of days and make sure there were charts--Weinstock at Prestige wasn't so fussy. Great music from both lables--just a different approach.

Some nice interplay on this one, as mentioned. This particular title runs just under 38 minutes. The Fantasy Jazz SACD sounds more musical IMO than the 20-bit K2 counterpart, this can't always be said for some of their other SACD releases. Other Coltrane SACDs worth checking out are Lush Life (Fantasy Jazz) and Soultrane (Mobile Fidelity), the Blue Train SACD is mentioned a lot, but I find the DAD version much more revealing.. in this case that's a good thing. The original DAD version is out of print, Classic Records is due to re-release it in their HDAD format.

My favorite Kenny Burrell album is still Midnight Blue.

Thanks for the input and recommendations Allan. I had a feeling you might weigh in on this one. I bought the "Blue Trane" SACD a month or so ago and my wife asked me the other night if you could wear out the grooves on a CD like vinyl! I LMAO. Needless to say, I am enjoying it. Appreciate the comments.

----------------

On 12/18/2004 3:51:01 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Typical Prestige (this one was released on the "New Jazz" sub-label) Blowing session. What made these VERY loose jam sessions so freaking great is level of musicianship and the familiarity amon the players. This one was recorded in 1957 but not released until 1960 after Coltrane had been at Atlantic for a couple of years. Prestige recorded Coltrane so ofter in 1957 and early 1958 that they kept releasing "new" albums until 1963! If you like this one, check out some of the other other all-star jams-- "The Cats" with Coltrane, Burell and Tommy Flanagan and also the Red Garland led "All Moning Long" and "Soul Junction." Loose, relaxed blowing sessions with great solos from ALL.

What these Prestige sessions lack when compared with the Blue Note dates of the same era is the razor-sharp ensemble blowing and cohesiveness--and that's because Lion and Wolff would PAY the musicians to rehearse for a couple of days and make sure there were charts--Weinstock at Prestige wasn't so fussy. Great music from both lables--just a different approach.

----------------

According to my copy, it was recorded on March 7, 1958 but who really cares anyway.2.gif

Another I'm fond of is "Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane," recorded in June and July of 1957, released in 1961. Great lineup featuring Ray Copeland, Gigi Gryce, Coleman Hawkins, and Art Blakey among others. I have the limited edition 20 bit version from Fantasy.2.gif