EV T350 tweeter

jim-analog

• 3 years later...

I am having trouble uploading anything to the BBS, shoot me an e-mail if you want a scan of the EV-T350 engineering specs, I have 2 pages scanned. Again, my thatnks to William F. Gil McDermott to provide me with the hard copy of the Electrovice literature.

I also have the sheets on the EV T-35, indicate which ones you would like.

----------------

On 8/9/2001 12:26:00 PM jim-analog wrote:

Greetings,

I've been looking into different drivers and will probably go with the Emminence Kapas for the woofer.

------------------

Jim@analogbros.com

----------------

I have experience with Kappa 15LF's in corner horns.

Overall, they are much more punchy and powerful than K33E's. They are not as transparent on the upper-portion of the bass frequencies as the K33E's, but they WILL change your heartbeat at 30 watts, if that's what you want.

They don't go quite as low (fc 38Hz), but they do take 500 watts. I tried both Kappa LFs and K33Es and stayed with the K33Es as they blend nicely with the upper frequencies.

One thing that you must keep in mind is that the K33E's use a 3x13" throat opening, and the LF's (being 8 Ohm) need the 6x13" slot opening. So standby to hack on your horns to use them, if you want to go that route. Most Khorn owners tend to stay with the K33E for this reason, as well as having a built-in match to the midrange. The matching with the upper frequencies will be an issue, as the LF's are a little more efficient than the K33E's.

This is entirely up to you as to what "type" of music you want to listen to. If you are a loud-volume rocker in particular, or want to start a disco, LFs are just your ticket.

DM2.gif

Yes, good point; perhaps my statement seems misleading, so I'll explain further. I got the 8 Ohm driver in a Khorn thing from a third-hand post by Bruce Edgar, an article featuring PWK and another printed source dicussing the Khorn.

The 8 Ohm vc driver simply means that it is NOT a K33E (which is a 4 Ohm), and therefore the narrow slot is not required and will limit the response of other (non-K33E) drivers. The narrow slot is exclusively intended for the K33E to reduce the bandpass in the upper-and-mid-bass (400Hz?) range. For other drivers, a wider slot is recommended (6x13") which is 1:1 with the throat area of the Khorn.

I have also tried the Eminence 4 Ohm "C" but it proved unworthy in a horn, but would work especially for a sub-woofer, IME. I also tried both slot sizes to no avail.

However, there is ample evidence that PWK was specifically after lower vc impedance for his horn, as he mentioned it in an article as being something that he wanted when asked about driver selection (Article was posted by Gil in Tech Questions). I quoted the article before, but can't find it now, the "search" function doesn't seem to work...

In the case of non-K33E drivers, it is reasonable to prevent undue physical resistance to the cone by an overly restrictive slot size in the case of a higher vc impedance rating in particular when the narrower slot's frequency-limiting aspects are not desirable.

Although modern testing indicates that the overall change of the impedance raises the K33E to an average of approx. 6.2 Ohms in a Khorn, it has been stated that the horn-loaded impedance "makes the vc appear to be 16 Ohms due to the excellent horn loading" (How to Build Loudspeaker Enclosures, Badmaeiff and Davis, W.L.Sams Publishing, 1978, Chapter 8).

DM2.gif

Actually, I guess the slot size changed to the narrow version for the K33-B (CTS) in 1961 not the E (Eminence change, 1970's). Also, a narrower slot does not increase upper bandpass, it decreases (or restricts) it; everyone involved below SHOULD have known better... The general rule of thumb is, the wider the slot, the higher the crossover point can be...

K33E_SLOT.jpg

But none of this expains the 4 Ohm drivers, per se.

DM

post-13458-1381924534374_thumb.jpg