Biamp for Khorns?

Ki Choi

One of the fourm members sent me a message saying how he is enjoying his new SVS subs as much as the Khorns. I have also noticed many of other members have powered sub(s) to go with their Khorns. So I experimented with one of the Velodyne 15" powered subs from my HT set up to agument two Khorns in my 2CH setup. It tooks some doing to settle for 40Hz low pass crossover point at 18db/oct slope and trying all possible placements along the room boundaries to get the best results. I have almost flat (+/-2db) from 20 Hz on up with the sub. The only exception is at the 31.5Hz tone is down 5db in my room. I think I can add another sub and fill the dip.

However, before adding the sub, I noticed I have pretty even responses from 31.4 Hz on up down about 10db to 50Hz. It got me thinking how about if I were to biamp the woofers with SS amp to boost the bass a bit, I think I will get the similar response without the powered sub to added about +10db from 31.5Hz to 50Hz by biamping (almost a tone control).

Has anyone tried biamping their later model Khorns with separate terminals by removing the jumpers? This subjest must have been discussed but I could not fine a thread.

Thanks,

Ki

I tried the Bi-Amping of my K-Horns and I felt NO improvement.

I instantly went back to my single Baldwin tube amp set-up.

That Baldwin amp is just incredidble !

Nothing could be done to improve the K-Horns thru Bi-Amping, .....in MY situation.

Happy Holidays !

Thanks for your inputs.

I am not going to use an active crossover. I just wanted to remove the jumpers and power the woofers separately using the exsting passive crossover if possible. I am looking for the manual in the house somewhere...

However, if the woofer is to handle signals higher than 80hz, I am afraid the attempt would not work. It seems my K-horns need help just below 50hz on down about +10db to make them flat in my music room.

I can achieve it by adding the powered subs but would rather not add them in my K-horn setup if possible.

Ki

It won't work without an active crossover, you'll be sending full range sound to both inputs (i.e. bass to the mid/tweeter and highs to the woofer.

The passive crossover works because the various frequencies seek paths of least resistance/reactance, if there is only one path, that is least resistance/reactance.

What you want to do is a good way to blow a driver at volume.