Harmon Kardon HK 430

AnalOg

I posted this in tech. section, maybe someone can help here also.

I have an hk 430 in my sons room, as of yesterday he said it was working fine. Tonight when he turned it on, all inputs put out a very low equal volume. I checked the fuses & all the wiring in the back but see nothing out of place. I cycled all the bottuns on front same result. Anyone have a clue?

Tom

Try unpluging the unit and pluging it back into its power souce. Had a tv and a few other electrical stuff including a turntable that for some stupid reason it worked again after I unpuged it and pluged it back in, why this worked I havent a clue. Also check the preout main in jumpers on back of the receiver did they come loose or are they dirty. If this doesnt work and no fuses are blown looks like the HK will need a teck.

I had this problem with an old JVC receiver from the late 70s - I had one or two blown fuses. They didn't really look blown, if I recall correctly, but I replaced them anyhow and the unit powered up with all the lights at full brightness (as opposed to being dimly lit) and had full volume too.

I happen to own an HK430, and I replaced all the fuses in it when I bought it, just to be safe, and as recommended by Andy. Andy got the whole HK430 thing going here on this forum by the way.

I'd say off the top of my head that it sounds like a fuse issue. Try replacing all of them and see what happens. Won't cost you much of anything and it;s a good place to start. Go to HK's webpage and search for the HK430 and look up the manual for it so you'll know what ratings to get for the fuses. People might have put different ones in there for some reason, like a lack of properly rated fuses for example.

You can try spraying some contact cleaner into the pots and working them back and forth rapidly too, especially the volume pot. Make sure unit's off and unplugged for this and then given time to dry before turning back on.

If the combined efforts above fail, then I'd say take it to a tech. Try doing it yoruself first, because it's not unheard of for a dishonest tech to tell you such-and-such was wrong and charge you $100 when all he did was to replace three .25 cent fuses.

If money's no object, or if you happen to know an honest tech, then by all means bring it on in to him immediately.